AdviceClothing

Advice For Dyeing Shoes

I want to dye a brown stretch-top shoe black. The bottom and heel are already black, the back is dark brown. I have a pair in brown now and want to get another to dye, as the "black" style" runs about $80 more. The brown must be last year's! They look identical to me. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had!

By Carol from upstate, NY

If you have a shoe repair shop in your area, ask what they use to dye fabric shoes. If they sell the item, buy it. There is also RIT dye, black liquid shoe dye (polish). or you might try permanent black marker pen. I have used black markers to touch up black shoes in several places and on wooden or leather heels. Good luck.

Wipe leather with Acetone; then apply your Leather Dye.

I have a pair of shoes that I would like to dye. I attempted to use a liquid dye, but the color was repelled by the composition of the outside of the shoe and the dye did not penetrate the shoe. I'm not exactly sure of the composition, but I think it may be an acrylic like material. Can anyone suggest a remedy? Thank you.

joesgirl from Beverly, MA

Answers:

Advice For Dyeing Shoes

Have you thought of painting them? Use acrylic paints (small bottles from craft store) mixed with textile medium (also from craft store). Good luck. I've done this successfully with leather shoes. I did not heat set, but I suppose I could have (try a blowdryer if you are not comfortable putting in oven).
(08/31/2009)

By sarkm