CanningFood and Recipes

Uses for Extra Syrup from Preserving Pears

Category Canning

I canned fresh pears in a sugar and water syrup. My recipe said to boil the water sugar syrup, add cored, peeled, and quartered pears to the syrup and boil for 5 minutes longer, then load into jars and fill with syrup. So far so good. But I have a lot of leftover syrup in the pot and I hate to throw it out. Even though pears were cooked in the syrup, can it saved and reused for other preserving or a juice or a syrup or anything?

By Ginger C

We used to save it all the time. We put it in a canning jar or jars and put in the refrigerator use with in a few weeks, before use bring to a full boil. I still keep a jar in the fridge for my iced tea works great! Hope this helps.

I have boiled it down to desired thickness, then used it over pancakes. Good!