LaundryCleaning

Biological Vs Non-biological Washing Powder

My washing machine is bobbling my husbands socks. I use a biological washing powder and I wonder if a non-biological washing powder would be better. Do you have any suggestions? Many thanks.

Jean

What do you mean by bobbling?

By ~kay~ (Guest Post)

I was using the biological washing powder until I found tiny little holes in all my husbands t-shirts! I checked that it wasn't the washing maching or something else causing them. Only thing I could find was the non bio powder. After asking around I found that others had encountered this too. There may be times when you need to use it but I switched back to the good old fashioned non bio powder.

(sent in by email)Bobbling:
There are small balls of fibre covering the surface of the socks.

I live in the country with a septic tank, and a repairman told ne that powders should never be used. Now I use only liquid detergent. Also, I have allergies, and have to use All unscented. I use white vinegar for fabric softener.

Hope this helps someone. I would try the All unscented. Most detergents today, such as what I mentioned, don't have all the chemicals that was in them years ago.

I too have a septic tank and I have been informed that it is better to use "biological" than "non- biological". I use laundry soap that I make myself. It doesn't have the smell of "detergents" that you buy but it gets that job done better than anything that I have ever purchased!!
The "detergents" that you but are very harsh and counter act with the way everything breaks down in the septic take.

Here is the reciepe for the laundry soap:

*1 bar of Fels Naptha soap (cut into small pieces, I use a food processor that I bought at a yard sale)
*1 cup of borax
*1 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda(not the same as baking soda)

3 cups of water

3 gallons of very hot water

In a sauce pan put the water and the shredded (or cut up) soap and
bring to very slow boil until all soap is melted.

While the soap in melting in the water mix 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda in a 5 gallon bucket. Pour 1 gallon of water into the bucket and stir, making sure that all the powder is disolved. Then add the other 2 gallons of very hot water.
When the soap is melted, pour it into the 5 gallon bucket mixture and stir. Let stand overnight. Mine almost always turns out gel-like. My friends say that sometimes their's turns out liquid.
I use one cup per load.

Because I save so much money on the laundry soap (it costs about .02 a load, store bought can run about .09-.20 a load) I spend the extra money on a good quality fabric softener sheet so that our laundry has a good scent. This soap works wonderfully in hard water (we have hard water). THere is actually no scent to the laundry at all if you choose notto use a fabric softener sheet.

I have an easy reciepe for liquid fabric softener, eco-safe cleaners for every room of the house including tile and hardwood floors. E-mail me for more info
livinintheburg at comcast dot net