HealthDogs

Home Remedies for a Dog with Pyoderma

I am new to this site and I was hoping someone can help me. I have a 4 year old GSD. I have had nothing, but problems with my poor guy.

It started over the summer with skin issues. I have been to the vet a number of times and they told me he has Pyoderma. He was on antibiotics for months and months, then we tried prednizone, and benadryl. All short term fixes.

Also, they told me to put him on a food that he has never been on like rabbit or kangaroo. I did try the rabbit which he has a hard time digesting. I am wondering if anyone else had any answers, he also has lots of ear infections. Thanks for your help.

By Sharon from MA

Hi, we know how awful dealing with skin problems is; we had a rescue boy a few years back who came to us with mange, chemical scars and Pyoderma.

What our vet told us about it is that the most common cause of it is basically an allergy to flea bites; is your guy on flea preventative, or has he been exposed to an area where there were plenty of them? You mentioned you started seeing problems in the summer; where we used to live, summertime was notorious for sand fleas.

If your vet hasn't touched on this at all, I think if it were me I'd maybe go for another opinion and bring the flea subject up to see if that's a possibility. They could also enter the picture with the ear infections, if they're down in his ear canal and he's scratching at them, he's introducing dirt, bacteria, and possible infection.

Good luck, hope your furbaby gets well!

This link explains pyoderma; offers various antibiotics; and describes the signs/symptoms of this bacterial skin infection and to stay with the medicine even if the dog appears well. My first thought was after reading this article that perhaps a medicated shampoo or something for hot spots to bring comfort during the healing process may be helpful. Good luck and let us know how your dog's doing after treatment.

http://www.fetc … ;IID=AR000010393

Hi,
No my dog does not have fleas thank god. He has been checked for them and is on advantix for fleas. I have asked the vet if it could be fleas he said no he checked him for that. I also thought maybe it was the detergent I used I switched that I bath him every 2 to 3 weeks. I have tried everything I'm at the end of ideas, I just want him to feel better and hoping to find some answers to help my poor little guy.

Anonymous

I have a terrier and was allwasys itching and biting it turned out to be a food allergy grains potatos chicken are very common with itching we use potato free and grain free

Try putting him on a regular grain free diet and add a little " Probiotic Miracle" to his food every day.