Freezing Individual Portions of Soup or Stew

When I make soup or stew, I make enough for an army, so I can freeze it for lunch or dinner and not worry about cooking during the week.

I found a great way to freeze individual portions without having to use so many plastic containers. I take the soup bowls that I would be eating the soup or stew in and spray it with a non-stick cooking spray like Pam. I then ladle in the amount for each bowl and place the bowls in the freezer to freeze. I usually have to do this in 2 rounds since there are usually 8 portions and I can't fit the 8 bowls in my freezer all at one time.

When they are frozen, take them out and place on the counter for about 5 minutes. You can then take a butter knife and "pop" them out of the bowl. I then stack them up in a large freezer bag and store back in the freezer. This way, when I am ready to eat them, I can just take out a serving of soup of chili, place it in the my bowl, and either microwave it or let it defrost at room temperature! Works great!

By Gina from Oklahoma City, OK

I put a serving in gallon ziplock bags and lay them in a baking sheet and put in the freezer. Once they have hardened you can get your baking sheet back out. They stack up nice and neat and flat.

Ice cube trays... can't say it enough... and if the portion is important one cube is one ounce so it's very easy to portion control meals.