Cleaning Diamond Earrings

Does anyone have any ideas for cleaning diamond earrings and pendants? They're a little small to clean by scrubbing with a brush and they just need to have soap residue/body oils removed. Would soaking them in bathroom 'scum remover' harm them?

Thanks a bunch!

Lee-Ann

By Eva (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Glass cleaner is the best, my uncle is a jeweler and this is what he recommends to use when at home.(He has a steamer and such at the office) Just soak it in glass cleaner for a little while and then brush with a small toothbrush and then rinse.

Eva

Best Answer

I use a solution of half water and half household ammonia to clean all of my jewelry, with the exception of pearls and opals. Just drop the jewelry in, let it sit for a few minutes, then brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush if desired.

Best Answer

When we bought my wife's wedding ring, they told us (and showed us) that all they use to clean the diamond jewelry is a de-greasing dish soap (like Dawn, etc) to remove the oils and grease. We've been using this for our jewelry and have been pleased.

By jean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use a small jar with a screw on lid, put a few drops each of ammonia and dish detergent, add hot tap water, drop the jewelry in, close the jar, agitate gently, let soak for 15 minutes, rinse in a colander and air dry. Works on any type but pearls, opals, turquoise.

By Tamara (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Jeweler use steam machines. There are now small versions of these machines available through upscale jewelry stores and via the internet.

Nothing compares to these machines. My diamonds always sparkle - and I continually receive compliments about my jewelry.

By tammy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've tried pretty well everything mentioned. I did like the peroxide because it's "effervescence" seems to remove and disintegrate any gunk, especially in a channel style setting. For best shine, I've found that the Windex worked wonders.

By john (Guest Post)

try useing water and a small amount of amonia put the jewelry in a sealed cup and agitate it gently take out and rinse with water and towel dry or you can use a small tooth brush and tooth paste

By (Guest Post)

I would soak them in peroxide. Good luck! :)

try using toothpaste with an old tooth brush. Then wash the paste off. Use paste instead of the jell kind.

By Barbie (Guest Post)

try using hand sanitizer....I recently started using it daily and noticed my silver rings and my diamond wedding ring sparkle more than ever.......

By Susan from Hamilton (Guest Post)

I soak my rings and necklaces in denture tablet and water. One to a bowl with warm water or hot

and in a 1/2 hour I brush with an old toothbrush and rinse voila sparkle city again

By Susan K. Beal (Guest Post)

A former neighbor of mine who happened to be a jewelry designer recommended using a toothbrush and windex. I have used a tooth brush and baking soda, or a tooth brush and toothpaste. All work well. The Windex makes the diamonds look especially clear. Hope this helps you.

By Jess (Guest Post)

I cleaned my Diamond Enagagement ring with an old electric tooth brush and tooth paste. It looks spectacular, do you think the paste could harm the diamond (being an abrasive)?

One of my friends is the top diamond salesman for JM Poulucks (sp)back in Maine. He told me never for one to actually touch the diamond itself because you leave oils from your hands. He says the best way to clean them is with Lestoil and soak them then very gently aggertate them in the Lestoil like a mini cleaning machine would do.

Take them out of the Lestoil , rince dry with a soft cloth and your set to go. But, the best is to take them in to a jewler that YOU TRUST and they will clean them usually without charge. Hope this helps.

By Meagan (Guest Post)

A way I do it is taking two parts of water, heating it for a minute- minute and a half in the microwave. Then I add a part of ammonia or Windex, stir the two liquids together. Then I place the diamonds in the solution and let it stand for about 2 minutes or more. Then use a gentle toothbrush to get excess 'gunk' off. Then place on a soft towel and let them air dry. This will get ANYTHING off your jewelry, make them dazzle like new, and prevent scratching from abrasive methods.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Do not use this on jewelry with opals, pearls or any soft stones.

By lori (Guest Post)

I have been cleaning my wedding set every other month in peroxide for a few hours then scrub with a brush it sparkles and I receive compliments constantly.

By Lisa (Guest Post)

I tried ammonia and dish soap in a jar with hot tap water. I left my aquamarine stud earrings in for about fifteen minutes, then scrubbed them a little with a toothbrush and rinsed. The results were GREAT! I love these earrings and wear them everyday and they were really dull and gunky. I am so happy that they sparkle again! THANKS!!