TroubleshootingComputers

Computer's USB Ports Not Working

I recently had to replace my hard drive; when I hooked it up again (I did not take a picture of the back as you suggested, however all of the connections can only go one place with the exception of one which can go in four places.

Now, my USB port does not seem to recognize that anything is there, camera or MP3 player. Could this one connection be to blame (I did try plugging it in all four places, but still no success), or is there something more involved?

Verna

Replacing the hard drive usually has nothing to do with the connection for the USB ports. Your ports should go from the case (fron or back) via cable to a place on the mother board OR they are on an inserted PCI type card. Which in your case doesn't sound right based on what you are saying.

If the USB port plugs directly onto the motherboard there is usually writing on the plug areas of the board to indicate such. My guess is you don't have the manual for the motherboard so you can't check it to see where they plug in.

Another factor may be the drivers for the USB. But windows would normally indicate the USB as not active. If you look at your devices in Windows does it have a small X on the USB listing? Does it even have a USB listing?

If you can find out what kind of motherboard you have you may be able to find the schematic on the manufacturers website. I know you can if it is ASUS, they have a great site, or they did 2 years ago. The last time I built a PC.

Usually in one corner of the motherboard it will have the model of the motherboard printed. It may be on the case or you may have documentation that mentions what it is if you kept all of your PC docs.

Anonymous

Did you install the software for your camera and MP3 player on to the new hard drive?

We have a computer at home and out of no where it won't let us use the USB slots on the tower anymore. So now we can't download our camera or charge and put music on our MP3 players. We tried the ones in the back, they don't work either. We unplugged it and restarted it, but nothing. Can you help us? We really need to figure out what is wrong with them. The rest of computer works fine.

By Mandycsr from Chandler, AZ

Answers:

Computer's USB Ports Not Working

Sometimes if you use the USB ports for flash drives or other devices and don't choose the "safely remove devices" feature, the ports can be damaged. (04/27/2009)

By RB

Computer's USB Ports Not Working

Try updating your drivers. (04/27/2009)

By ivorylov

Computer's USB Ports Not Working

Try doing a system restore on your computer:

• Go to start
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • System Restore
  • Restore my computer to an earlier time
  • Next
  • Pick a day before your ports stopped working
  • Next
(05/04/2009)

By PICO

Computer's USB Ports Not Working

You did not mention the operating system of your computer so I am going to assume Windows XP.
Click the start button then right click the My Computer icon. Go to the Hardware tab and select the Device Manager button. Go to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB) and remove all USB entries then reboot. Windows should detect your USBs and the drivers should be automatically reinstalled.
(05/05/2009)

By RJ