RepairComputers

Laptop Key Not Working

My "num lock" key doesn't work when I turn it on, but when it's off the arrows and the rest work. However, when I turn on the lock the numbers don't work.

I have a Toshiba laptop and I'm a beginner at computers. I don't know if I did something to the settings of it or what. Can someone please tell me how to make it work?

By janice from Seatac, WA

I would try a Toshiba tech support page. That is fairly odd. Did you just get the laptop? You could take it back where you purchased it and ask for assistance.

Hi! A couple of thoughts: Holding down the "FN" key while pressing Num Lock is necessary to activate Num Lock with some laptops. Have you tried that?

Also, not to minimize the problem, but Num Lock isn't really necessary for much anymore, since there are other ways to get the same characters on today's keyboards.

It's kind of a relic key left over from keyboards in the olden days, when it was actually necessary to toggle back and forth because they didn't have separate keys for everything like they do now. As I hear it, the Num Lock key is probably going to be eliminated from the next generation of keyboards anyway.
Good luck!

My laptop's key 1 is not working. It does not respond at all. Everything else is working.

By bivu from Blackheath, Lewisham, London

Answers:

Laptop Key Not Working

First unplug and reconnect the keyboard, did that help? If not, chances are a good cleaning will solve your problem. Pry off the key (don't worry), clean with a Q-tip or paperclip tip, use a little solvent, vacuum cleaner, etc.

to get up the grit and dust. Press the key stalk with your finger, does it work? If so, put the key back on (it should press on). (04/17/2009)

By mary knight

Laptop Key Not Working

It is probably the keyboard itself. If the warranty on your laptop is still good, contact the manufacturer. (04/19/2009)

By Joy