What is the difference between the American Legion and the VFW?

Imaqt1962 from Illinois

Best Answer

VFW stands for Veterans of Foreign Wars to be be a member you had to have served in the military during war time on foreign soil. My husband is member of both along with Fleet Reserves and Disabled American Veterans (DAV).

I am auxillary member and it is amazing the community work these people do. I am about the youngest yet these women ring circles around me.

My husband served in Desert Storm and was in excellent health when he left with a physical to prove it and now he uses a cane to walk or wheelchair and takes so many meds. he cannot drive and he just turned 38 ! Yet no pity for him, he volunteers with the VFW and lobbies for Veteran rights and for those serving now. My husband talks to Sens. & Congressmen/women, Gov of our state went to Washington DC with VFW and does his best to keep benefits from being cut back.

At the moment the current administration is trying to make each Veteran PAY for services at the VA Veterans Administration for health benefits that have always been PROMISED to our military. Currently we have National Guard serving in War time and causing severe financial problems for the family left without major bread winner. It is sad the VFW does it best to help all.

If I can stress one thing..... Please if you know a Veteran they may be eligible for benefits throught the VA they can see the VFW Representiives who there to help Veterans with Paperwork, filing, etc so art DAV reps. and some American Legions do this too. PLEASE remember the VFW has certified service officers who there to help VETERANS and families so please let them know. Often many vets do no know this.

I know I got long winded here however this is something people should know.

Your comment that you have to serve during overseas during a war is incorrect, it should say during a foreign conflict which means anyone stationed in Korea since 1951 for more than 30 days is eligible

God bless your husband. A real hero.

You are absolutely correct!
Thank You,
Scott

I am a life member of the VFW I only received a disability rating of 10%. I have PTSD, Heart Disease, Sleep Apnea and hearing loss. But the VA only recognizes the ringing in my ears. I get my health care, eye glasses, hearing aids through the VA and they are about to put me on the Heart Transplant List.

My Cardiologist wants me to quit my job. But my bills will not allow it. The ton of meds I am on is scary and the side effects dont help.
Need help with my appeal I tried on my own 3 times with no results?

I was stationed in Korea 77-78 can I get assistance. I am a female veteran. I am also dependent of a deceased service member.

i think american legian is power trip vfw is better they treat u better

Correct. I joined the VFW with my Korean Defense Ribbon.

By SGT. Greg (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The American Legion accepts both peacetime and wartime vets. To be in the Legion, you don't ever have to leave the US...but MOST members have. I'd say the majority of Legionairres have seen combat or have been deployed to a hostile area.

The VFW states you have to have served in a combat area to become a member.
Both are great organizations..the only difference between the two is requirements for membership. I'm a member of both.

Anonymous

I am the widow of a thirty-two year air force veteran. I am trying to access my widows benefits. I am going to be homeless soon. My husband served in ww2, Korean War, Vietnam, desert storm, and died from a service related injuries. I need help finding affordable housing and filling out the forms for my benefits. Do you know anyone, or anyplace I can get help with these things. Thank you for your time. Glenda newton Bopp, 760 898 2776

This is not true. Peacetime Veterans are not eligible to join. I have tried and been turned away. As well as the VFW.

You stated that the VFW helps all veterans on claims? That also is a bold face lie! I asked fir assistance and my husband is a VFW member. I was denied because I was not a member, and was told they do not assist peacetime veterans.

Anonymous

Legion accepts wartime veterans not peacetime

Wrong, the vfw states you must have served in an area of foreign conflict, so if you were stationed in Korea since 1951 for more than30 days you are eligible

Your comments are completely false. It is not required that you serve in combat or that you serve in an area currently considered as an active combat zone. The vfw allows you to serve in korea post war and a dozen other places where American troops were either no longer in combat or never in close combat at all. They allow members who sat on ships hundreds of miles away because someone launched a missile or a plane from a boat they were on or because they supported a bombing squadron that was never less than a hundred miles from anything resembling danger. The vfw is constantly changing its rules because it is old and outdated and their values and regulations do not reflect upon the values or needs of today's service members.

This is incorrect. I am current commander and past adjutant for my post. American Legion eligibility for membership is ONLY during times of conflict. There are very specific dates of service.

This is incorrect. The American Legion is the largest Combat Era veterans service organization. The Combat Eras are determined by Congress as a result of the American Legion's Congressional Charter. The Combat Eras include, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon/Grenada, Panama, Gulf War/War on Terrorism. At this time, they do not accept military members who only served during time of Peace.

The American Legion - Its not where you served but when. If you served at least one day on active duty during the prescribed eligibility dates you're in.
VFW You have to have served at least 30 days in a combat zone & received a combat award too. IE Campaign, Expeditionary, Purple Heart, or Battle ribbon

This is because the Korean War has never officially ended. It is only under a cease fire. No treaty has ever been adopted between N & S Korea and the other belligerents. Conflict incidents at the border happen frequently. War could still break out there at any moment!

Anonymous

As of 2019 American Legion accepts any person who has served from 1941 to now, any location overseas or stateside. This is new. The only requirement is currently serving or honorably discharged.

Well the VFW does not help the vets that was in combat. I have asked VFW many times for help and they turned me down. I served in the desert storm. And I am not happy with the VFW . I am also member of the VFW. If I known that they were this way I would not joined up

id like to see that dd-214! 45+ years service - wow!

Best Answer

The American Legion requires that a Veteran served during designated specific periods of conflict regardless of where they served. The VFW requires that a Veteran must have earned a Campaign Medal, Expeditionary Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Combat Action Ribbon, Combat Infantry/Combat Medic/Combat Action Badge, or Korea Defense Service Medal. So a Veteran who served in Europe during the period of the Vietnam War would be eligible to join the American Legion, but not the VFW. Basically, all VFW members are eligible to join the Legion, but not all Legion members can join the VFW.

I beg to differ. I am one of the rare cases where my service falls into a narrow slot between two congressionally recognized conflicts. However, I am a combat veteran because I am an SSBN sailor.

I am not eligible for the American Legion, but I am a member of the VFW

Anonymous

Please get your facts straight about The American Legion and don't give out false information. I am a US Navy Veteran that happens to work for The American Legion. I am not eligible because I served during peacetime (1985-1989). They currently only accept veterans that have served during wartime. Now, until the House votes on the current ruling and always all veterans to join, the current requirements are honorable discharge and must have served during eligible war dates.

IM A VIETNAM VETERAN AND IM A MEMBER OF BOTH VFW AND THE AMERICAN LEGION

Anonymous

The American Legion by an act of Congress anyone who served from December 7 0f 1941 to a date to be determined are eligible for the American Legion.

By edieparks (Guest Post)

America legion is for veterans that served on american soil. VFW is for veterans that served in foriegn countries/american soil . We appreciate both of them.

edie

Not the case, edie.
Though it may seem that way because of the eligibility requirements of the Legion, the real difference is whether or not "served on foreign soil during a conflict" is applicable.

To be a Legionnaire, there are date ranges that your service time must have fallen in, REGARDLESS of where you were stationed.
To be a Post member in VFW, you must have been oversees and received a campaign medal. This information is all on the DD214.

I know this full-well because I have gone through the process for both.
I am an Auxiliary member of both; VFW Auxiliary (under my grandfathers DD214) and Sons of American Legion member (also under GF, due to my service years being in the small window not accepted!).

Join both!
If you cannot get in on your own DD214, try a relative and join the Auxiliary side of them. YOU STILL GET TO HELP OUT!! And around here, they treat you the same at the posts. (If they do not in your area, THEN SHAME ON THEM!!)

Only in a designated COMBAT AREA.

By maria (Guest Post)

How silly. When's the last time we had a war on American soil?

Anonymous

Pearl Harbor

Anonymous

9/11

Did this person ask when did the last war happen? SERIOUSLY? smh

Anonymous

Alaska, Goleta,CA (sub fire), of the Eastern Seaboard (subs), Gulf of Mexico (subs).

Kiska and attu islands in Alaska were. Occupied during ww2 by the japanese to help gaurd the Japanese flanks

This looks like an old post but I ran across it surfing the web looking for info on the VFW.

The VFW Post in my area is well known for assisting with VA Claims and they do a lot for our community. I'm filling out an application to join the VFW Auxiliary and was told I meet eligibility requirements because my dad served in Vietnam. This was after submitting a copy of his DD-214 to them for review. I'm not familiar enough with the American Legion to comment on their organization. There should be a Veteran Service Officer or local VA office that can assist with filing claims for benefits. Ours is located in the county courthouse. Also there are attorneys that can assist at low or no cost but they must be designated by the VA to do so. You should be able to find this info through VA.gov and your state's VA website.

My father was enlisted but recieved a medical discharge due to injuries during boot camp. Am I eligible to join either the VFW or the American Legion? Or did he have to actually "serve" an amount of time? I would very much enjoy being a part of the auxillary.

🍀

Generated 2020-02-16 11:47:09 in 727 msecs. ⛅️️