Using Homemade Laundry Detergent In a Front Loader?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts

I'm very intrigued by the idea of making my own laundry detergent, but I'm also a bit concerned. We purchased a front loader a few years ago and had the same problem as many with odors. After trying different ideas, I stopped using liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener. I now use powdered and the smell is gone.

I'm worried that the homemade detergent, being liquid, would start the odor problems again. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks so much for your advice.

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Best Answer

The smell in the washer comes from leaving the door closed and the moisture inside causes mildew/mold. It isn't typically related to your detergent.

You can make dry homemade detergent if you prefer that kind. Just look at the different recipes and you'll find that variety too.

If you use washing soda and borax for washing and add vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser, most of the smell will go away. I wipe the gasket with a damp cloth and white vinegar and them spray peroxide on it and let is sit, then just scrub it dry with a wadded up old holey sock.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesNovember 9, 2011
🎆
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64915068.tip.html