How do I clean lime from my bathtub?

How do I clean lime from my bathtub? It's an older house that I just moved into, probably built in the 1950's or so. The bathtub looks as if the last person that lived here never cleaned it! I tried the regular bathtub cleaners and nothing has worked. It seems to be built up from hard water stains and gets worse towards the drain. I'm thinking it's a thick layer of lime. It's so freagin gross! There is also some grout on the sides.

Erica from San Antonio, TX

Have you tried the product Bar Keepers Friend??? They have a Lime and Rust remover cleaner.
Or even Lime Away.

I've cleaned some rental appartments for a friend of mine. One time, a bathtub I had to clean was totally!!! disgusting. It was either clean it, or get a new one, so I took very fine steel wool (000) and comet or old dutch cleanser. It worked, and no scratches. I was amazed.

You could go to Home Depot and get Lime Away or other type products they stock and follow directions on the bottle.It could be the stains have etched too deeply into the tub and may not be saved and would have to be refinished or replaced

On a show I just watched today they cleaned a really dirty tub with no fume oven cleaner. Spray it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then wipe and rinse.

One word....VINEGAR!
Spray it on full strength and let it sit for awhile then rinse it off with plain water. If the lime is still there, repeat the process until the stain is gone. If there is also rust spray some whisk (brown bottle) on it...the results are almost immediate.

CLR Kitchen & Bath Cleaner at Target, KMART, Walmart etc. Use as directed and get immediate results.

The company guarantees it WILL remove anything!

Good Luck!

There is a cleaning stone available in the cleaning aisle at our Walmart. I use it because we have really hard well water and get a ring build up in our toilets no matter what I use. This removes the ring. I am sure it will remove your lime problem. It can be used on porcelain, etc. Be careful using some of the liquid cleaning products. They can pit and ruin a porcelain tub/sink finish. My grandmother used to use SnoBowl on hers because of hard water iron stains and it eventually destroyed the finish.
Good luck.

http://www.2ewenique.com

I have had the same trouble, and I have tried everything - bleach, peroxide, limeaway etc. and nothing worked. I thought i was going to have to re-glaze it, but then I found the MAGIC ERASER from Mr. Clean (Extra Strength) and now my tub is gleaming white. I would have never believed it but as a last ditch effort I tried it, and it worked! Good Luck!!

how do I clean the green rings in my toilet, It's only 2 years old and I have a well.

My bathtub had stains from a rubber bathmat, and I could not get them out. Then I read the post here about MAGIC ERASER - it works! I have spent so many hours trying so many other cleaners and home remedies, all to no avail. The Magic Eraser worked immediately, and completely removed the stains. Thank you!

Lime-Away is my choice for lime.

Be careful using lime away as it can etch your tub and very careful if it is a new one as the finish is not as tough as the older tubs. Clr is good but I used vinegar and baking soda. Spray the vinegar on then a strong solution of baking soda and water but I applied it with a cloth and let them sit. Had to do a couple of times but it took off the white scale. On the commode I used the vinegar then about l/4 cup of baking soda and let it sit for about 30 minutes and a nylon bath scrubber got it clean. Hope you find your answer.