Sweating Feet

Perhaps someone with some medical knowledge may be able to answer this. My feet have started sweating in the past year irregardless of the temperatures.

I am past 60, post-menapausal and in relatively good health. I have never had this problem before, but now find I have to change socks several times a day. There is no foot odor but my socks, regardless of the weight or style of the socks, are damp.

I do wear only SAS shoes but have several pairs I alternate between. Even when I wear sandals with a pair of socks, the socks get damp. What gives here or more precisely, what am I doing wrong?

Sadie

By sandy. (Guest Post)

i have had sweaty feet and hands all my life. i make sure i wash and dry frequently. i know i should also wear cotton socks at all times(tho i dont) i suggest you go to the Dr to have it checked out if this is a new situation.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

You could try putting anti-perspirant on your feet before putting on your socks. Also, put foot powder in your shoes to absorb the moisture.

By Ang (Guest Post)

It sounds like a type of hypohydrosis (or is it hyperhydrosis?)- something like that. From what I've read, it means you sweat alot, whether from hands, armpits, feet, etc. Try to get a prescription for Drysol.

Have you thought of sprinkling powder or cornstarch in your shoes? Maybe rubbing some on your feet before putting on your socks. My feet sweat when I'm on my feet alot, especially while and after exercising.

By Marti (Guest Post)

Have you been checked recently for diabetes?

By (Guest Post)

What kind of doctor should I see for sweats?

By Veronica (Guest Post)

You can put newspaper paper in your shoes to absorb some of the moisture.

By nuraan (Guest Post)

I have the same problem. I need help.

By Lee (Guest Post)

Back to the original question (which is how I got here in the first place), I have been wearing SAS shoes regularly, except for when I wear sandals, and I experience the same thing. I went searching to see if there were complaints relating to the SAS shoes.

Although these shoes are very comfortable, it appears that they do not breathe properly. I haven't had a problem with sweaty socks and sandals as I don't wear socks with sandals (except during late fall). I am beginning to think that it is just the nature of SAS shoes.

Ditch the cotton socks and get some that "wick" moisture away. Cotton absorbs the moisture and holds it on your feet. Nylon socks (I prefer pantyhose) draw the moisture away from your feet.
I have had sweaty feet all my life (Mom says even as a baby!). I wear sandals until there is snow on the ground and pantyhose only in the winter when I wear loafers that I slip off whenever possible.

I am miserable when I have to wear boots. I buy summer athletic shoes with mesh sides to wear year round and sleep with my feet sticking out of the covers.
BTW, I, too am over 60, post menopausal and a full time teacher (so I spend a lot of time on my feet).

I know this sounds crazy but it works! One hot summer day, I was complaining to my friend's Mom about how sweaty my feet get and she told me to dip my feet in black tea. Now I keep a large covered container in the bathroom, filled with strong tea. When I get out of the shower, I dip each foot, before stepping onto my [dark colored] bathmat, cover the container, then I dry my feet as usual. Not sure why or how it works but my feet stay dry for hours! How often the tea needs to be replaced depends how hot the weather is, usually every 2 to 4 days. Also, I like using lipton's cold brew ice tea bags. The tea bags are larger and you don't have to boil the water. Hope it helps!