StorageFood and Recipes

Keeping Cheese Moist

Cheese will not dry out, if stored wrapped in a cloth dampened in vinegar.

By Ronda F. from Wichita, KS

Anonymous

Just be careful of the amount of dampness because that can cause mold and also be gentle with the amount of vinegar because too much will change the flavor of the cheese. From my experience it's always worked the best to store the cheese in it's original packaging and then wrapped tightly with plastic wrap.

I will try this tip with Parmesan and Romano though because they do tend to dry out really quickly :-)

Another method to keep it from drying out is to smear a small amount of butter over the entire block. Then put more butter on the cut surface each time you cut it. I have done this for many years and have had it stay soft for weeks.

Also to store it, I use the Ziploc Vacuum Storage bags. It stays fresh in my fridge in these for over a month.