ClothingConsumer Advice

What Material to Wear?

Category Clothing

Is Rayon hot to wear in dry heat & hot humidity? What are the breathable fabric's? What fabric's keep you warm?
Thanks!
Trish in AZ

yes I would not wear rayon, it may be light but doesnt breathe, you need natural fibers cotton, linen etc would be my suggestion

In theory natural fibres, like cotton and linen 'breathe' and are better in hot climates. But in practice I've found if its hot you will be hot, (I live in Australia and have lived in dry heat and humid heat areas, up to 50C at times). At these tenperatures no matter what you wear you will be hot! I tend to go more by the feel of the fabric - if it feels nice like some rayons I will wear it - if it feels stiff, slippery and hard, like some nylons, I will avoid it. Think about when you launder clothes - some synthetics repel water some soak it up almost as readily as cotton.

For keeping warm any material will do - the trick is to wear many thin layers which trap air. Years ago labourers on building sites in Britain used to wear a pair of their wife's tights under their work clothes for its insulating properties, (they may still do it!). The air warms and acts as insulation. Wool is great for warmth but many layers of synthetics may be warmer. It also depends on your activity level - being very active in cold weather in layers of synthetics will trap sweat within the clothing and make you feel damp and uncomfortable, and possibly more prone to wind chill. In that case maybe layered cotton with a woollen top may be preferrable.

Regards

Jo