Pest ControlGardening

Aphids on a Grape Vine

Category Pest Control
Q: I just got a grape vine for my edible garden, even though it's a small 8" vine, it has aphids. I know the homemade recipe for killing them but will it harm the vine when it's this young?

Thanks!
Kuke from Baltimore, MD

A:

Kuke,

Since your grape vine is so young, I wouldn't risk damaging the plant tissues. Instead, I would recommend simply blasting them off with your garden hose. You'll still need to exercise some caution to avoid breaking the vine when you spray. Give it support by holding it in one hand while you spray the aphids off with the hose. Use short bursts of water with only enough pressure to wash them away. As an alternative, you could also try using a magnifying glass and painting your homemade remedy directly on the aphids with a cotton swab or small paint brush (really, I'm not kidding!)

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I know of one sure way of getting rid of Aphids. It is to buy Lady Bugs. Look into it, there are a number of places that sell Lady Bugs. I have bought plants from a company called Michigan Bulb I think they might sell them.

Good Luck
Hope I helped

I was the one who wrote about using Lady Bugs to get rid of Aphids. Is this true?
When I had problems with Aphids on my Pine tree I was told by environmentalist this was the best way.