Encouraging A Blind Cat To Be More Active

Anyone have any tips on how to get a blind cat to be more active? I have a 2 1/2 year old overweight female cat who has been blind since birth and was declawed by a previous owner before I took her in. She was already overweight and has only lost about half a pound since last year.

I limit her to 1/3 of a cup of weight-management food in the morning and again in the evening. She finds her way around the house very well and she has a docile nature. I've tried various toys that make noise or have catnip smell, but she'll only play with a new toy for a few minutes, then go lay down somewhere, and then the toy doesn't get touched again for weeks!.

A companion cat is not really an option because I have a very small apartment and a young child. I do have a fenced yard and took her out one day, but she kind of freaked. Suggestions would be most welcomed.

umme

Will she go for a walk on a leash and harness around your yard? It might be too late as normally you must get a small kitten used to this.

My kitties love to play with a ball in the bath tub. The ball rolls back to them and they swat it again.

You also might want to check with your Vet for ideas to get your precious kitty to play.

Jennifer

i have a kitty thats deaf. he does just fine as he still has his sight and he's much older than yours. When a cat doesn't have one of their much needed senses, they are lost. and are so insecure.

She (your cat) feels safer if she doesn't move as she can't see what's around her so she listens..as we know ourselves, we will be still to be able to hear something. You have to have a constant routine that she can get used to, so she knows that everyday at the same time certain things will occur. For instance, dinner at five is one of ours, (and believe me he knows when its five!!, little siamese in him!) Everyday at a certain time is play time...have the same toys, she will know the smell. And have a toy box for her always in the same place and accessable for her to get a toy on her own..we use the kitty travel carrier with an old towel in it, it's a two-fold reason, we want the cats to feel safe when going to the vets. also having toys with sound is important like you have done, but remember to get soft sounding toys..she has such an enhanced hearing now due to loss of site..you want her to feel safe to play and if the noise is too loud then she can't hear whats going on around her.. safe and secure, not much disruption, is the key to a happy cat thats lost a sense...