Meeting DECENT Singles Online

Is there ANY sites on the internet where a person can meet singles for friendship and chat without paying a ridiculous fee for viewing a bunch of losers, cheating husbands and some that look like ex-cons? I'd love to know. I'm not looking for someone to sweep a lady off her feet just friendly conversation.

Sharon

Sister, we are ALL looking for that. Good luck to you!

I too, would love to know if there are any online sites like that. I'm 57 years old, on a fixed income and can't afford the monthly fees these places charge. It would be so nice to be able to meet and chat with some nice men friends!

When you find one let me know! Aloha and peace Pamela

I met my wonderful boyfriend on Friendster, a free site that is good for both friends and dates. (I am 28 and he is 33.) He is cute, smart, teaches physics at the University level, and shares many of my interests. On Friendster, you get pictures, lists of interests in various categories, and testimonials from their friends. I have met a few duds there, too, but just because you meet someone for coffee once doesn't mean you have to see them again. (I have never actually met anyone dangerous through Friendster.) I find that not letting bad dates faze you (and making first dates convenient, safe, and low-cost) is the key. MySpace is a similar site that is also free.

If you are willing to pay, a client of mine (who is a 37-year-old grad student who happens to be blind) has had success with Match.com. He met tons of smart professionals (mostly lawyers for some reason), and ended up with a nice girlfriend. Again, every date didn't work out; sometimes the women didn't like him, or vice versa. You just have to take minor disapointments in stride.

If you are LDS (Mormon) there is a site called www.ldsfriends.com. That's where I met my wonderful dh! ;-)

Try www.bookofmatches.com/.

I have not had a chance yet to try it, but I saw it mentioned in a woman's magazine. It's free and features instant messaging. Also, you can find out who's viewed your profile and who's most compatible with you.

truerblue

Is everyone being honest? First, you mention meeting people for a chat, then it's meeting men, then it's dating (which has a whole new meaning these days), then it's DH time.

You'd do just as well joining organizations you would enjoy anyway, or starting a singles group at your place of worship.

I would ignore the trend and not attempt to meet Mr. Right online. Most men online - despite paying lip service to seeking a soul mate, are looking for sex. Also, I met a man through an online dating service who was an aeronautical engineer, good-looking, high IQ, mother prominent on the local school board, on and on. He eventually began revealing his true self, telling me how he and his sister had considered having sex together and expressing hope that his 11 year daughter would eventually sleep with every boy on the football team if that was "her path". It is better to meet men by more conventional means, like friends and work. There are some real sickos and weirdos out there.