PaintingHome Improvement

Removing Peeling Acrylic Paint

I have a bathroom that was wallpapered. We removed the wallpaper, and painted it with two coats of vinyl acrylic enamel paint. Now, the paint is cracking and peeling everywhere. Obviously, we didn't get all of the wallpaper paste off or something. Please, can anyone tell me how to remove all of the paint without ruining the sheetrock (drywall) so we can repaint the room correctly with a primer first?

Gail C

About 6 months after I bought my 1st house, the paint in the bathroom began cracking and peeling. After checking around and getting the same answer time and again, and trying to "fix" it myself several times, I realized there wasn't an easy fix. I peeled the loose, cracking paint - basically no tools needed - most of it came off with very little effort - and scraped the remaining spots using a putty knife. I hired someone to come in and "remud" the bare spots - I know next to nothing about drywall repair - then primed and repainted. If you can find another solution, best of luck. Unfortunately for me, the only moneysaving advice I got from anyone was to do what I could for myself. Good Luck!

my husband is a painter-he said to scrape all the peeling stuff off, wash the walls with TSP (directions on box),let dry, sand it,wipe it down with water dampened rags to get any dust off, paint with two coats of primer, then repaint. (after the 1st coat of primer, sand and wipe down any bad spots again)