FabricCleaning

Removing Mold And Mildew On Polyester Shower Curtain

How can I remove mold and mildew from a polyester shower curtain?

mooks from Detroit, MI

Wash delicate in the washing machine, hot water. Use 1/4 - 1/2 c. bleach. Dry just till warm, till there are no wrinkles and rehang on the shower hooks.

I mix bleach (very little) & water in a spray bottle. I spray the shower curtain without removing it from the rod...Wait a few minutes and the mildew is gone.(rinse well). For plastic shower curtain only

Chlorax spray gets out mold and mildew. Gary dominicus

It's a breeze. [I'm assuming we're talking about vinyl curtains...] Here's the recipe: 1/2 C. bleach, 1 cup baking soda in the wash water. Wash on the hottest temp. possible. Then, during the rinse, add 1 cup white vinegar (it helps "soften" the vinyl). Now, ON LOW HEAT, pop the curtain in the dryer with a couple of towels. Remove while the curtain is still warm, but is dry. HANG IMMEDIATELY. WILL YOU HAVE WRINKLES? Yeh! That's the cool part. Get out the blow dryer, set it to wasrm and "dry" your curtain - you're not really "drying" it, you're smoothing the wrinkles.

TEENS love to help with this - just make sure they don't use high heat or get the dryer too close to the vinyl or you'll have a permanent "pucker!" NOW, FROM NOW ON, After someone takes a shower, when they are through, have them put the vinyl curtain OUTSIDE the tub and spread the curtain all the way across to get the maximum air to the bottom of the curtain. You'll cut down on the mildew so very much!!

"Washing machine, vinegar and bath towels every month" work fine for me. I don't use bleach. Also, I found an online store that carry a nice collection of shower curtains and bought some from it. You might like to check out http://www.just  home.php?cat=653

By Pete (Guest Post)

I am trying to get mold spots off a porch swing/glider probably caused by a lot of rain and humidity. How do I take care of this?