My Keyboard Number Pad Won't Work

I was cleaning my keyboard today while it was on (I know I should have had the computer turned off while I was wiping the keys). I hit some of the keys and now I cannot get my number pad to work. Can someone tell me how to turn it back on please? Thank you.

Debbi from Brownstown, MI

Best Answer

My guess is that you hit the Num Lock key. Look on your keyboard for a key that says "Num Lock", press it, and your keypad should work.

Anonymous

Thank you so much! I think it happened when my kitten walked on the keyboard.

Best Answer

So! I was reading this to find an couldn't find it so what I did was hold the number key for 6 seconds and you will get a prompt that asks if you want to turn on toggle keys press yes. I might have done this at some point and it changed my pad from numbers to directional buttons so if you do it again, you will go back to buttons, if you do it and it the buttons work don't press number lock again or you'll have to do the process again. If you do press it and it turns off your numbers just fiddle with it by pressing and holding and trying the buttons until you get it right. I did.

Best Answer

I had a different problem, my numpad didn't work anymore it was acting up and Numlock didn't work (Something that's a regular test for me if my numbers don't work) So I just tried several things and I found out that I had to press numlock for a decent amount of time (around 5 seconds) and then everything worked again. I just wanted to share it since I didn't find my answer in this answer log

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH my computer was stuck for like a year like this

make sure the Nmber lock is on. it's located on the top left hand corner of the number keys(the keys that are on the left side of your keyboard)

Best Answer

Go to settings....easy access option.... mouse selection....then make sure numeric keypad to move mouse is "off"
let me know

It worked perfect thanks a bunch

Anonymous

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Had shown my husband how to get a keyboard on the screen and then when I went to use my keyboard number pad later, it would not work. I was at a total loss until I saw your post.

I have been trying to solve this for a week. I wish I would have found this site sooner. Thanks

Hi -- did you accidentally 'unclick' the "num lock" key located at the top left of the number pad?

If clicking this key doesn't restore the functions of your number pad, you can still use the numbers over your letter keys.

Good luck,
Nancy

Anonymous

THANK U NANCY I TRY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER TWO MONTHS AND THE NUMBERS DIDN'T WORK UNTIL I READ YOUR STEPS GOOD NOW WORKING PROFECTLY

OMG, I just had this happen to me and read the first feedback comment and boy, do I feel stupid now. Dohh!

WHEN MY CAPS LOCK IS OFF I AM HVNG CAPITAL LETTERS INSTEAD OF SMALL ONES AND MY NUMBERS ARE NOT COMING AT ALL ONLY THE !@#$%^&*()_ NOR MY COMMAS OR HYPHENS ARE WORKING> I AM USING A COMPAQ PROSARIO LAPTOP>

Try unistalling your keyboard device in the DEVICE MANAGER tab under the SYSTEM option in the CONTROL PANEL. Reboot PC/Notebook PC accordingly. Then configure the number pad settings by clicking START, CONTROL PANEL, ACCESSIBILITY OPTIONS, select the MOUSE tab, and uncheck the option to use MouseKeys. This kind of a mess happens all the time when you try cleaning the keyboard while PC/Notebook PC is still powered on.

I have the same problem with the top row(numbers) don"t do numbers see:!!@#$%^&*()_+ I have not keypad>(period doesn't work) shift does nothing< neither does numb lock> help?

Thanks I used the first tip. It really helped. Thanks a lot. My keypad fully functions except that I have to wait to press 2 keys together.

OOOO-Weee! I'm glad others have had this problem. Now I know how "dumb" to feel. Your advice FIXED my problem.
Highest Regards,
JoNo

Great help. Thanks!
Maybe I won't play with those options anymore.
Thanks again!

Everyone that has this problem, just hold down shift and press a b c.

Anonymous

I cannot believe that this worked. So Simple..

I'm playing this game called gmod, but you need to use the numpad. My numpad isn't working, and now it's hard to play! I tried doing shift + a b c, it still doesn't work. Even if my light is on, or off, it doesn't work. I don't want to delete anything because I'm scared it might affect other things. So, can anyone help me?

On my old gateway lap top when I press the numbers five or six I get nothing all other numbers respond. It is becoming annoying.

I am using 7 PRO and google chrome nothing worked on the number pad except + - * / and the arrow keys?
Rex

Try my solution, it works for me. if you're using usb keyboard type, unplug the keyboard cable then plug it on another port.

Try holding down shift then tap Number lock key! This toggles between number pad & directional pad! Directional pad mimicks a mouse! (If you try the arrows on keys 2,4,8,6 on your number pad, you can confirm you have the wrong mode for what you need!). You can easily do this by accident while cleaning a keyboard when the computer is on!

I don't know if this will work for anyone else.. But I tried all the other items listed above to no avail. Then, I pressed the flying window key and my numbers lock key. And the keypad started to work.