Choosing Long Blooming Flowers for Hanging Baskets

I have 2 patio boxes for planting in. I am using trailing ivy, baby's breath and poppies right now, but I need to know what flowers bloom all summer so I will have blooms all summer. The hanging boxes get the morning and noon sun.

By Cheryl Doi

Bat wing, or angel wing, begonias. They are very prolific; foliage as pretty as their ongoing blooms.

With the amount of sun you get in the bottom of your basket, place a small bowl right side up and then fill with potting soil. You won't have to worry as much about watering 2 times a day on hot days. The baskets won't dry out so bad.

Purple oxalis is good and does great in baskets, airplane plants also do good. Afro does great and survives easy.

Portulaca. This is my second year of having portulcaca in a hanging basket on my deck. Bloomed well into fall last year. Loves the sun, so would do well in your morning and noon sun spot. Portulaca comes in numerous colors, solid and dual colors.

What zone are you in? Cone flowers or daises are a good choice.

Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersMay 24, 2011
🐛
📓
🌻