Repairing Wicker Baskets

Category Other
Wicker is used to make a wide variety of baskets, including picnic baskets, hampers, and market baskets to name a few. Wear and tear can leave your favorite basket in need of repair. This is a page about repairing wicker baskets.

My sisters and I have been going through our parents' personal things since their deaths. One of my children found a vintage picnic basket but the caning on the back that held the top to the bottom was broken. Rather than toss the basket, I put my thinking hat on. I found a brand new pair of leather shoelaces that I am sure were bought for my father's boots and I put them to use.

I "braided" the leather lace into the basket and repaired it using the unbroken side as my pattern. I then removed the unbroken cane and repaired the second side too. I salvaged the basket and gave it to my child as a memento of her grandparents. It may be hard to see the actual lacing in the photo because the basket and lacing are so close to the same color. If any of the other cane pieces break, I will just replace them as well with more leather shoelace.

By southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 6, 2014
😎
📓
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-Wicker-Baskets.html