Clothing StainsCleaning

White Synthetics Turn Gray in the Wash

My white synthetic clothes go gray often with just one washing. I don't have the same problem with my cotton whites they tend to stay white.

I have used Oxiclean. I have done shorter washes so there is less time for anything in the water to be absorbed. I added a whole house water purification system to resolve the problem, but the problem persists.

There must still be something in my water that is being absorbed into my synthetic fabrics. I am on city water and according to the water purification people there is nothing in the city water test report that should be causing the problem. I have a lot of synthetic white clothes and I am tired of having to constantly replace them as they are destroyed with as little as a single wash.
Help!

By Gayle Short from VA

Have you tried boiling some water to get it really hot, then allowing the clothes to soak in Oxyclean overnight?
I've found that allowing the clothing to soak overnight tends to get them brighter than just washing a load with the oxyclean.

Are you washing your white clothes separately? If white clothes are washed with dark colors it might be that they are picking up dye from the dark colored clothes.

You might try googling this question - I am sure you would get some good suggestions. Good luck.