Making A Bird House from a Shoe

An easy to make and easy to clean out birdhouse. Just undo the laces to clean it out. The boot was thrown in the trash and I rescued it. Screwed the board to the sole, added the roof made of flashing and a raffia shoelace. I love it and so did a Carolina Chickadee family this year.

Source: I saw one for sale on Etsy and made my own.

By Gailya Illsley from Lillington, NC

Wow Irisbird, what a good idea to use old boots. I'll be giving that one a try. Trouble is I haven't any really old boots, I am wearing them!
Here are a few more comments I had from my gardening friends about your idea-they thought it was great!-Richard

mygarden.rhs.org.uk/.../planting-bulb-wellies.aspx

Cute idea! I found an old pair of boots at a thrift shop for 50 cents.

I can't wait to make a birdhouse of my own. I think I will try to find a license plate for the roof. :-)

I love this! And since I live in the same basic area you do I'm hoping some chickadees will find mine too once I find an old boot and make one!

I wonder if an old pair of tennis shoes would work?

My feeling is that the shoe belongs in the trash. Really isn't that just junking up the place? If a person can afford birdseed thay can afford a nice birdhouse that is really waterproof. Beauty leads to serenity.

And Lilac...Maybe they don't feel like filling the landfill with something that can have new life? Maybe they don't feel like having a unique bird feeder isn't "junking up the place". Majority rules my dear and we all love it!!