Freeze Food Waste Until Garbage Day

If you don't want your discarded food remains to sit in your trash can, and more than likely turn foul smelling, pop the chicken skins, melon rinds, empty meat trays, etc. into a plastic bag and freeze them until you put your trash bins out at the curb for your pick up.

By Joan from Westchester, CA

I have been doing this for a long time, especially in the warmer weather. Also, once I bought meat, got home & the expiration date had expired. Until I could return it to the store, I put it in the freezer.

That should "put" the chicken skins, not "pop."

This is a great idea, one that really cuts down on flies, etc. My mother-in-law puts her discarded food remains in milk cartons, the paper type (cardboard-like?) ones with the spout. She just fills it up and then tapes down the top so that it fits in the freezer nicely until garbage day.

This does work well. I've used this system for quite some time but one more step is that I separate all the vegetable waste, coffee grounds, egg shells, and anything else that does not have fat or meat odor. I keep that in a tight container in the garage until garbage day. The vegetable waste and tea and coffee do not have a bad odor by themselves and they would make good compost if you had a use for it.

Another idea that came from my mother is to keep an empty vegetable can in the freezer where I put any drippings from meat. It freezes up solid and that can be just placed in the garbage bag along with everything else. It saves using a lot of paper towels to blot up fat from the cooking pans. Using these methods the trash can in the kitchen is just waste paper and never messy or smelly.