Training AdviceDogs

Training an Excited Dog Not to Spin

My 2 year old Corgi just spins around like a top in his crate when I come in the door, when I feed all the dogs, whenever I come in the room, etc. He spins so fast sometimes I think he is going to have a heart attack. Anyone have any suggestions to stop this behavior?

By CorgiMomof5 from Orlando, FL

I don't have an answer for you but your dog is not alone. My 2 year old dachshund does the same thing; but not in a crate. My dog does it mostly when he's waiting for food or right when I come in the door. I've never thought about why until I saw your question. It will be interesting to see others comments.

Hello, How long is he in his kennel? He is bored and maybe has been in there way too long. Animals that are caged will spin because there is nowhere for them to walk/run etc. You can also see this in large animals. Good luck

Yes, he is in a crate while I'm at work during the day, but also when he is outside he will just walk around in a circle on the patio. This is after running around and playing for quite some time.

I was just worried that he might have some neurological problem contributing to this behavior. But, it could just be his own way of burning off energy.

My x-husband used to take our Sheltie for rides in his pickup. She would spin around in the back of that pickup the whole time. I always wondered why too. I think they just develop habits just like humans do and we don't know why. It always embarrassed me because I thought the dog looked like she was crazy!