FurnitureCleaning

Cleaning a Leather Chair

How to clean a leather chair? It is about 10 years old; I don't want to use shoe polish on it for obvious reasons but it needs some loving care. Ideas?

I'm not sure about leather chairs but I have heard of using vaseline on shoes.
Pam in RI

Try saddle soap, if you have a tack shop nearby that is where it is usually available(quote)

First I would use soap and water. Then I would use Pledge wipes, they can be used on Leather. This should do the trick.

They also have "leather wipes" available at any dollar store.

~Wendola~

They make a product called Leather Balm. It is a cream with no color that men treat their boots with to keep them clean, soft and supple. It can be found at almost any store that sells shoe polish or shoe shine products.

I am a Stanley Home Products dealer. If you can find a dealer near you, they have a wonderful leather cleaner. It does not make your leather slippery and it protects and cleans. We have been using this product since the 70's for our cars and it works wonders.

There are many types of leathers, finishes, and dyes used to manufacture leather upholstery. Leather cleaning is best left to a professional. There are leather cleaning kits available. Should you DIY, test any product in an inconspicuous spot for ill effects before proceeding.

thanks to all who answered my plea for help. All your suggestions are very good; I have located a leather cleaner that should work; washing the chair first is a very good idea. Thanks again.

I found this sight very valuable. A lot of great links related to leather cleaning products and great reading that helped me with my newest leather sofa purchash, leather repair, and how to maintain leather furniture..

http://mobilele … /Variations.html

I need help in removing discloration from leather chair from where my husband's head would rest on it. i have tried some leather cleaners, but haven't had much luck yet. It is a lazy-boy recliner. Thanks

How do I clean a beige leather chair?

How do I clean a ivory leather sofa?

Hello Miriamne,
Seeing that you are in Southbury, CT, I'm in Seymour, CT just below you. If your not sure of what type of leather you have, please don't make a mistake at what some people do, by going out to the store and pick up the first type of leather cleaner that is on the shelf. You can contact me at 203 734-5343 or email me at supremecare@sbcglobal.net
My website is www.supremecareleatherservice.com
If you would like an appointment for inspection of your leather chair, feel free to call us.
Sincerely,

Mark Sabre
Customer Care

Hello Holly,
As far as cleaning your ivory leather chair, please check to see if there is a leather ID sticker under the seat cushion if removable. If not, more than likely the leather is either Protected, Semi Aniline, or Aniline. You can clean each one the same way with our Leather Master Cleaning Kit and get the best results posssible for your leather chair. It is a two part process, one by using a soft cleaner and the other adding leather protection by into the hide. You can contact us at 203 734-5343 or email at supremecare@sbcglobal.net

Our website is: www.supremecareleatherservice.com
Check out our Gallery of the restoration projects done by myself. Here you'll get an idea of knowing how the Leather Master Products can produce the end results.
The picture of this Modern Piece was a Semi-Aniline, very soft leather and only took a couple of hours to clean & protect. You'll have to contact us by phone to order this product, our store is under consturction and not available at the time. We have the products in stock!
Sincerely,
Mark Sabre
Customer Care

Dear Beatrice,
First find out what type of leather you own. If you don't know , you can contact us and we will help you to identify your leather. 203 734-5343 in CT
supremecare@sbcglobal.net (email)
www.supremecarleatherservice.com (website)
We sell Leather Master Products for all leather types.
This leather is a Nubuck and was stripped down and refinished by us.
Sincerely,
Mark Sabre
Customer Care

Dear Louise,
The problem here is that the acids and oils from your husband hair penetrated thru the hide. Your leather is probally old and never been cleaned or protected properly and this is where the problem lies.
The leather may be and unprotected Anilne hide that is very absorbant and may be faded or sun damaged and very dry. My advise is to locate a certified Leather Master Tech in your area. This is a restoration process and requires a skilled craftsman to condition the leather back without this blemish.
The hair oils have to be degreased out and this strips some of the natural finish and color out. This can be done in your home and can be done by yourself or as specified by hiring a pro.
We are located in CT our phone is 203 734-5343
email: supremecare@sbcglobal.net or website at
www.supremecareleatherservice.com
We sell Leather Master Products if you want to handle the job yourself and keep the expense down. This is an expensive project and can possibly be done for you depending on their qualifications.
I have posted another picture here for another person who was seeking advise. You'll see it here on thrfty's page with the end results of the Nubuck sofa, here is what it looked like before we restored it back to new. This came out of Michigan and was about 16 years old with no maintenance, Look at all the oils even on the seat cushions. We had to strip them out and refinish the Nubuck.
Sincerely,
Mark Sabre
Customer Care