HealthDogs

What Shots Does My Puppy Need?

I had a question about shots. I adopted my pup when he was 11 weeks old, that was 2 weeks ago. The breeder said he was up to date on all shots and came with a health certificate. He saw the vet a couple of days before I got him and passed with flying colors.

She told me all the shots he received:

-4 weeks Dewormed pyran 50
-5 weeks galaxy 5 (distemper/parvo) and bronchcine (kennel cough) strongid (dewormer)
-6 weeks panacur 3 days(dewormer)
-8 weeks neopar (triple virus protection Parvo), intra trac 3 (kennel cough) and ivomec

Does he need any more and when?

Reya from Philly, PA

Puppies need shots at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks, then yearly after that (or as your vet advises)

Your puppy should have had two sets in the puppy series by now. Call your vet immediately to get him up to date. In the meantime, do not bring him to parks and do not let him on any floor except for your own. He won't be considered fully safe and vaccinated until a week or so after his third series.

It's a good idea to bring a stool sample to your dog's veterinary appointments -- many worms and parasites are also contagious to humans.

Also he needs to start on Heartworm prevention that will also get 3 common intestinal worms.

Rabies shots are usually given at 12 weeks of age.

i just found his health sertificate and at 11 1/2 weeks he had another parvo shot and when i got him at 11 1/2 weeks he did come with internal parasites med from his vet that i gave him. thanx for the info!

I agree, there is a 2nd set of shots at 12 weeks, we got a distemper shot then, then another round at 16 weeks, which was distemper plus the rabies shot. (I didn't get the kennel cough shot though I was asked if I wanted it). But my vet, STRONGLY advised me not to let the dog around other dogs or walked around the neighborhood or parks until 3-4 days after the third series of shots. I had NO idea but I am so glad I listened. The dogs do not have the antibodies to fight these foreign parasites that unvaccinated dogs might have. and you wouldn't know what feces you passed while out walking your dog was "bad". Anyway, good luck.

Have you considered talking to your veterinarian the only person qualified to answer your questions.