AdviceCrafts

Making Trim for a Dollhouse

Can anyone give me ideas on how to make my own interior wall trim and baseboards for my 1 in. scale dollhouse?

By gina from MO

Use balsa or basswood. The best tools I found for making dollhouse miniatures were a set of Xacto knives and saw and a set of jeweler's files. For wallpaper I used scrapbooking paper or fabric. I bought books on jigsaw patterns to get ideas and a book on Victorian Gingerbread patterns. Good luck.

I did this once and it came out nice.
Stain fabric trims brown and you can't tell the difference between real wood and the fabric!
You can also try and find them in browns, but they are not easy. I had to stain mine. Then, you just glue them with no nails or damage to the walls.
I would give you a photo but the doll house was not mine to keep.
Hope this helps!

I also used balsa wood to trim my daughter's dollhouse. It can be found in very small strips at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

(I also used it to make a frame around a tiny bulletin board then cut out the mini index pics that you get when you have photos printed.)