OdorsCleaning

Cat Spray Odor on Deck and Stairs

I'm getting married and having a backyard wedding in a couple of weeks. The problem is that I apparently have a stray cat or cats that have sprayed the back stairs and deck and the whole area stinks. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the smell?

By Linda from Boston, MA

Wal-mart has a product in the pet department called Odo-Ban Pet. It is in a purple-ish container. Works

very well.

There are also sprays at Petsmart, etc, for sparying onto a lawn to deoderize and enzymatically clean. They're usually a green product and they work quite well. Allow plenty of time for the deck to dry before your wedding. Congratulations, and blessings to your union. :)

Be sure to do this treatment well in advance of the wedding, as some products have their own odd smells. I have had stray cats spray on non-porous places (stucco wall, window) and I have used a Mr. Clean lemon scented in water, a pretty strong solution, that worked well. And I have even splashed the Mr Clean directly on to leave the lemon scent. Cats don't like citrus, and it discourages them without having a smell that offends humans as well. I don't know how well this would work on wood as it absorbs more easily, but you could give it a try if the specialized products are not sufficient or if you are unable to get them.

After a good cleaning, spray with 1/2 cup baking soda mixed with white vinegar. This will foam, so don't fill the bottle too full. Be sure all the baking soda dissolves. Spray liberally over the area and let dry. It will leave a bit of white powder when dry. Now take the garden hose to the steps and deck let this dry. One dose should do it, but you can repeat as needed.

I had stray cats spray my front porch and I just put some bleach and water in a spray bottle and sprayed it all over. This worked great with no problems and the smell was completely gone. Very in expensive and sanitary too.