CarpetCleaning

Paper Stuck To Carpet

Category Carpet

I need some expert advice, please. I have a piece of paper (plain white A4 size office paper) stuck to the carpet in one of my bedrooms. Could someone please advise me as to how to get the paper off the carpet (preferably without wetting it)?

If you're wondering how this happened...

Three nights ago I was investigating a "mould" smell coming from the spare bedroom of my house. This is not an old house and the bedroom carpet is approx. 3 years old. The spare bedroom door is usually closed, so the smell is most notable on entering the room. I live close to the sea and we have had a particularly rainy WINTER this year, so perhaps this explains the mould.

The smell seemed to be coming from under the headboard side of the bed. I moved the bed and found what looked like just a thick layer of dust, close to the wall. On closer inspection I realised it was indeed some kind of mould. I vacuumed the area well and the carpet looked OK. I then sprinkled some bicarbonate of soda on the spot and surrounding area of the carpet, left it for a few hours and then vacuumed the room again.

Today, three days later, the smell is still there, so I decided to steam-iron the affected part of carpet, thinking it would kill off the mould. I couldn't find a suitable cloth to put over the carpet to avoid burning it, so used a piece of paper instead. The ironing part went really well, but then I tried to lift the paper.... it is stuck to the carpet... I THINK THE IRON WAS TOO HOT and has partly smelted the paper into the carpet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Karpet_Killa

The carpet was probably melted by the iron and the paper is now :Glued down" I'd pull uyp what you can to see the extent of the damage if any

My DH dropped a hot iron on my carpet (not once but twice) and in just a few seconds...it melted 2 big places

I love your sign off name. If it were me, I would pull off the white paper. If bits of the paper were still stuck to the carpet, I would gently with my scissors, cut the top of the carpet with the paper. Take my hand and smooth out the carpet. I have done this in the past with glue, majic marker and even a little paint now and then. Nobody knows about it, except you. Good luck and do as I do, just kill the weeds in the driveway, not your carpet.

Thanks for your advice, Jean & Diana

I've had no luck - the paper is well and truly fused into the carpet. I will have to replace that section.

Hmmmm... or... maybe I could colour the paper in with crayola pencils!

*lol*

:p