Computer Isn't Doing Updates

My Microsoft icon is in my lower right hand corner of the screen. It says it is downloading updates but it isn't happening. Is there some way to find out why not and get these important updates? I've tried a few things but no luck. Thanks.

Pattie from Bridgton

I just googled in "Microsoft updates" and this takes you through the process of getting any updates. Good luck.

Have you checked in your control panel to see if the updates are waiting for your approval to install?

Just try either one and also sign up to microsoft.com and they will send you a monthly e-mail with the updates needed that month. Then you can open and download.

On your start menu, go to Help & Support

Click on "Keep your computer up to date with Microsoft Updates".

Make sure "Automatic Updates" is turned ON.

When I get ready to install the updates, I use "Custom" option. If there's something that you don't think you need or want then you can choose not to install it. For example, I don't update any languages except English. You should also create a restore point for your computer before you actually install any updates or install any new programs. If there is a virus, spyware or malware within any of the installed programs, you can possibly go back and restore your computer to the restore point date. This does not work every time because of the type of virus etc. that attacks you computer, but it is a good precaution.

Jan

I'm not trying to freak you out, but if you have tried the previous suggestions and still can't get updates to load, you may have a nasty virus that is going around. We had the same problem, and it took several days worth of emails back and forth with MS support to fix the problem. We had to try multiple things until we finally got it resolved. The support emails shouldn't cost you anything, but it may take up quite a bit of time.

Download and run Spybot Search and Destroy from here:

http://spybot.s  uk&se=google

It will pick up anything malicious on your computer - it worked for me and it is free (although they appreciate a donation if you are pleased with the result.)

It true about the virus. U can also download this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Download the free trial. We use this program in our repair shop a lot. After downloading it, update it before you start a scan. U can run this program once a week or so, but make sure u update b4 u scan! updates & scans have to be done manually.