Making a Straw Hat Bunny
Turn an inexpensive straw hat into a cute bunny decoration for your wall or door. Hang it this spring or for Easter. This is a guide about making a straw hat bunny
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here's an easy Easter decoration. A straw hat decorated to look like a bunny.
- straw hat any size
- foam - pink and white
- 2 cotton balls or white pompoms
- 1 pink pom pom
- wiggly eyes
- hot glue and gun
- Cut 2 bunny ears from white foam. Then cut 2 smaller pink ones and glue inside the white ones as in picture.
- Glue onto hat.
- Glue on wiggly eyes and pom poms as in picture
- Fold ribbon and glue onto back of hat to hang up. If you want you can use small hats they are really cute and you can paint the hat white if you like.
By Sandy from Bluff City, TN
These bunny hats make cute door decorations for your home or office and can be assembled fairly quickly after the straw hat is painted. Instructions are for the white hat, but you can create a tan bunny by using tan spray paint, tan craft foam and brown chenille stems. The tan ones show up better on white or off-white doors.
Approximate Time 45 minutes
- white spray paint
- 10 or 14" straw hat
- white craft foam
- pink craft foam
- 1 inch pink pom-pom
- 2 white pom-poms or cotton balls
- 2 wiggle eyes
- 3 white chenille stems
- spring silk flowers
- spring ribbon
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- In a well-ventilated area (or outside), spray paint hat with white spray paint. Allow to dry completely. Repeat with several more light coats until hat is completely covered.
- To make ears, cut two large pieces of white craft foam in the shape of ears. Then cut two smaller ears from the pink craft foam and glue to center of white ears.
- Glue ears to top, back side of hat.
- For whiskers, glue white chenille stems across center of hat. Once glue is dry, slightly bend chenille stems downward.
- For cheeks, glue white pom-poms or cotton balls to center of hat, covering the chenille stems.
- Glue small pink pom-pom (or pink cotton ball which can usually be found around Easter time) just above center of cheeks for nose.
- Glue wiggle eyes in place.
- Glue silk flowers to top of hat.
- Using ribbon and wire, make a multi-loop bow and glue to bottom center of hat.
By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
March 23, 20120 found this helpful
I am looking for a door decoration that is an Easter Bunny made with a straw hat and jumbo loopy chenille. It is made with loopy chenille that is wrapped around the top of the hat for it's face. Do you know where I can find this?
By BettyAnswer this Question...