Fixing a Straw Hat

Category Clothing
A favorite woven straw hat can be used for a long time with some care and maintenance. This is a page about fixing a straw hat.

Old Straw Hat

Old Straw Hat

Now you can't say MY husband isn't frugal! I finally burned it one day when he was gone or he would still be wearing it!

By Glenn's Mom from Elgin, OR

Don't toss a good straw hat that has gotten out of shape over the winter! Almost all straw hats can be put back into shape by wetting them slightly, then gently pulling and pushing them into the proper shapes before letting dry.

I wear a straw hat when outside to protect my eyes and face. I walk a mile every day, as well as, work in my garden, and flower beds. Instead of buying a new one when my hat has gotten torn in places, I fixed it with hot glue.

The hat works like a new one and saves money.

It's the time of year for straw hats - which need a special sort of care to live long and prosper. If they have become creased, you can restore them to their original shape (or tweak it a little) by spraying it with water and easing it back into shape with your hands and then letting it dry.

How do I fix and reshape the crown of a straw cowboy hat that's been completely squashed.

Answers

Best Answer

One way to fix the hat is to bring a pot of hot water to a boil and hold the brim of the hat over the pot of boiling water to all the steam to get into the straw of the hat. Now take your hands and reshape the hat.

Best Answer

As with weaving baskets, you can soak the hat for a few minutes in tepid water, lightly dry with an old towel, then re-form the hat over a bowl or flower pot, or even a bucket that's the right (or close to right) size and shape, and let dry fully. You may need to weight it or tie it somehow to keep the desired shape while its drying. Good luck !!!

Best Answer

At the western wear shops they steam the Winter hats to reshape them so that would probably work for a straw Summer hat as well, but you're gonna have to find another hat to mold it over once it gets pliable from the steam or stuff it with something like newspaper or butcher paper or even fabric so it will hold the new shape. Truthfully, it looks like more trouble than it is really worth.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingSeptember 11, 2014
😷
🌻
🐛
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Fixing-a-Straw-Hat.html