Dyeing a Straw Purse or Hat

Woman in Straw Hat
When changing the color of straw you want to make sure it will not bleed onto other things. This is a guide about dyeing a straw purse or hat.

My favorite straw purse has become really faded. Could I revitalize it by brushing on something like RIT dye? What would be more colorfast, liquid or powder? I don't want the color to come off on my clothes. The purse is real straw and the shoulder strap is cotton rope.

You could dye the straw purse with a natural black walnut husk dye. I had a neighbor give me a basket she made and it was dyed from the walnuts on our property. Turned out very nice.

You might inquire advice from a basket weaver or a college that holds classes in basket making to learn what dyes are used that will not run.

I'd like to dye a straw market bag with tea. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I've taken the handles off and I'm keen to dye it a shade or so darker. I would appreciate your help and pictures of results you've had!

Kind regards.