Dyeing a Straw Purse or Hat

When changing the color of straw you want to make sure it will not bleed onto other things. This is a guide about dyeing a straw purse or hat.

I'd like to dye a straw market bag with tea. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I've taken the handles off and I'm keen to dye it a shade or so darker. I would appreciate your help and pictures of results you've had!

Kind regards.

Answers

You will need

• 40 Tea bags
  • Large enough pot to soak your purse in
  • Utensils for stirring and removing your purse
  • Tea kettle for making your tea

Step 1
Cut off all the strings and tags on the tea bags.

Step 2
Brew the hot water in your tea kettle or in the pot on your stove.

Step 3
Add your tea bags and let them steep for around 15 minutes.

Step 4
Rinse your bag in cold water and wring it out. Do not let it dry out.

Step 5
Turn off you kettle on the stove and put your purse in the hot tea water. Leave the tea bags in the water when you do this. If this bubbles up use the utensils to push it down. You want to make sure it is completely submerged in water.

Step 6
You can let this soak 1 hour to 10 hours depending on how dark you want your purse. Overnight is good to allow it to soak in the tea water.

Step 7
Remove your purse from the mixture and rinse your purse.

Step 8
Fill the kettle with water and a splash of vinegar.

Step 9
Soak the purse in the water and vinegar for 10 minutes.

Step 10
Remove from the pot and wring out. Lay flat to dry.

My favorite straw purse has become really faded. Could I revitalize it by brushing on something like RIT dye? What would be more colorfast, liquid or powder? I don't want the color to come off on my clothes. The purse is real straw and the shoulder strap is cotton rope.

Answers

You could dye the straw purse with a natural black walnut husk dye. I had a neighbor give me a basket she made and it was dyed from the walnuts on our property. Turned out very nice.

You might inquire advice from a basket weaver or a college that holds classes in basket making to learn what dyes are used that will not run.