Reuse Silica Desiccant Packets in Packages

When I've ordered something, most always the box has those "silica" packets. I re-use them. Some examples: in a photo box, where you've stored until "someday" you'll get around to them, or in my power tools carrying cases. Anywhere you might have moisture.

By Keeper from Morganton, NC

Two things: First, the Silica absorbs moisture to a point and then is no good. Sometimes you can put it in the oven and dry them out, sometimes not. They will change color.
Also, even though they are marked "do not eat" I've had a child do that and it is an issue with poison control. (It was part of an Army MRE and she thought it was a packet of seasoning.)

Thanks keeper. Very good use for those little packets. I will not throw them out next time.

I like to use them to keep moisture away from my dried flower containers. Ask family and friends to save them for you.

I was just down in Dominica and I put a couple in a ziplock bag and stored my external hard drive in there when I wasn't using it. Exposed to the humidity of the outside air and everything for a year. Didn't break yet but I don't know for sure if that was from the dessicant. But in general, humidity is never good for electronics. I had an idea for re-use/re-drying them but not sur eif it will work. AC units put out dry air right? - maybe the fridge would have dryer air than normal.