RepairComputers

Test Power Cable Before Replacing Electronics

If you have high speed DSL internet service and your modem/wireless router fails, don't go out and buy a new one without checking to see of it's a faulty power supply cord first!

We just got back on the internet today after several days of no service due to a faulty modem/wireless router. That's what I was told when I called AT and T tech support and told them that only 1 light was blinking green, some lights were off and the power light was blinking red.

Cost to replace modem/router (warranty expired) would be $100.00! Money we don't have right now! So, it's been several days of going to McDonalds or Arby's to use their free internet service.

I called tech support again this morning to ask them if they were sure it was a bad modem/router and not something else, I was desperate! The person I talked to said that it was either the modem/router, or the power supply cord (the cord that you plug into your wall outlet). He suggested we take the modem/router into an AT and T store and ask them to put a different cord on it to see of it worked or not.

Well guess what? It worked! We didn't have to spend $100 to replace it, we simply bought a new power cord for a whopping $10.00!

The tech in the store told us that the power cord on these things tend to go bad and so do the power cords on Xbox and Wii consoles. Makes me wonder how much these companies make replacing expensive equipment when it's something inexpensive!

By lyonpridej from Oklahoma

Wow, what an experience! That's why I forsook AT & T for Time-Warner back in March. Not only is the website more user-friendly, the tech support is much better! I feel they're more interested in serving us than making a few extra bucks. Of course, we don't have anything fancy, not even premium channels like HBO, but other than hubby's missing the familiar DishNetwork lineup and onscreen guide, we like it better.