Clothing StainsCleaning

How Do I Get Rid of Clothing Dye Transfer?

I just washed a beige dress with a black floral design in cold water. The dress is now dry, but the black dye has bled onto some of the beige. Is there any way of removing this? Please help. The dress is a friend's.

By Carol from Ireland

I had the same thing happen recently. I poured Tide with bleach on the shirt and let it set for a day. When I washed it there was some remaining dye so I soaked it in water and Tide again. It removed the dye but also took a little color out of the shirt. (It is yellow) but it is now wearable and no one else can tell. Good luck.

I don't know if that would work because I have the idea from the question that the dress is beige and black print, and the black might not look real good if some of the color was taken out of the black color.

There is a product called Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the laundry section of the supermarket. Washing the dress by itself with a couple of the sheets may help. It has worked for me. I don't know if this product is sold in Ireland. It is availalable online at a site called drugstore.com under household.

Carol, there's a great group of people here in the USA operating as Dharma Trading Company. Put "Dharma Trading" in the search field of your browser and I'm sure you'll find them. I suggest you send them an email with your query. They sell dye, fabric, things to set and to remove dye, etc., etc., by mail-order.

Best of luck with the friend's dress. -margret

Go to Walmart and get Rit Dye color remover. Follow the directions on the package. It will clean it up.