Pest ControlGardening

Getting Rid Of Spider Mites

I would like information for how to get rid of spider mites naturally on my houseplants.

Hardiness Zone: 1

By anita from Quebec, Canada

I always use white vinegar and water. That seems to do the trick without damaging your plants. Use 1/4 white vinegar to 3/4 water. Spray and let dry in the sun. Do not use this method on African violets, as water damages thier leaves. Once plant is dry, rinse with luke warm water. This should do the trick. Check back on the plant a week after application just in case you missed a few. This is a save alternative to pesticides.

Everyone needs to know my eco-tip. I keep a spray bottle of water mixed with about 1/2 oz. of cheap liquid dishsoap. Use to kill garden insects(including your spider mites), roaches, spiders, flies, wasps(if u must), ants, most insects in general. It's amazing. And no poison residue left.

It kills within 5-30 secs. depending on the insect... it smothers them by plugging up their breathing holes. For a larger problem, mix the soap with water in a hose-end spray container. Leave spray on plant for about 10 minutes then rinse with plain water to remove soap from any tender leaves esp. if u live in a hot climate.

9:1 water:vinegar mixture works well for plants in a foliar spray. DO NOT place in sunlight. Must be done at night as this mixture will amplify the light rays and burn the plant. Always foliar spray at night. Repeat every 5 to 7 days.

Possible to add 1 tsp baking soda and 3 drops of dish soap to mix to go overboard and kill the eggs by not letting them hatch.

Running under a stream of fast running water will knock the mites off the leaves as well.

Is there a non-toxic method of getting rid of spider mites on my bird's nest plant?

By Judy

Answers

Hi Judy, If you still need a fix for mites, try this. In a clean spray bottle, mix 5ozs. of isopropyl rubbing alcohol with 5ozs. of water. Add 1/8 tsp. of liquid soap (not detergent). Spray all leaves, stems, soil and underside of foliage. Reapply if necessary. It's always worked for me with plants. Good luck!

Does anyone have a great way to kill spider mites without using harmful sprays or pesticides? This year for some reason my entire herb garden (as well as strawberries) developed spider mites from hell. I have tried soapy water, but they keep coming back.

Desiree from Kent, WA

Answers: