- 1.5 litres water (6 1/3 cups)
- 10 ml salt (2 tsp.)
- 700 ml (400 g) maize meal (a little less than 3 cups corn meal)
- 30 ml margarine (1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400 g beef mince (ground beef) (about a lb.)
- 5 ml salt (1 tsp.)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 410g can tomato and onion mix (1 vegetable sized can chopped tomatoes and onions)
- 5 ml sugar (1 tsp.)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring water and salt to boil in a heavy-based saucepan. Slowly pour in maize meal, stirring constantly until smooth. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Heat margarine in heavy-based saucepan. Fry onion until golden, add mince and fry until mince turns golden brown. Season to taste. Mix maize porridge and mince. Cool slightly and shape into balls. Heat sauce ingredients together and pour over maize and mince balls.
Serves 6-8 people
Source: Source: Impala Special Maize Meal packet.
By Marlene from Pretoria, SA