social

Entertainment Center has Mildew Smell?

I just bought an entertainment center at Circuit City's liquidation sale that is non-returnable. When we got it home, I noticed the awful mildew smell and now my allergies are out of control.

Advertisement

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this smell? There is no visible mildew and I've cleaned the whole thing with furniture polish, which made the smell worse. Help!

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 1, 20090 found this helpful

i would try using just warm water with a teaspoon of bleach mixed using a wet rag to wipe it down real good, that would kill the mold and mildew growth and the smell i would think.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By sarahb (Guest Post)
March 2, 20090 found this helpful

They say that vinegar is a natural cleaning agent/deodorizer. Try putting equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spraying it down, then wiping it. It will initially smell like vinegar but should dissipate within a few hours. Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 2, 20090 found this helpful

Try charcoal briquettes(like Kingsford)
I had an old freezer with mold and an old dresser that was musty and it worked for both. Just put some briquettes in a bowl or a small box and set in the entertainment center. The charcoal will absorb the odor.

Advertisement


Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 3, 20090 found this helpful

You probablly need to combine the above solutions. You need both to kill the growth, and to deodorize. (Furniture polish doesn't clean or disinfect, it only shines)

The bleach solution or a Pinesol like product to kill the mold/mildew -- when you are cleaning, be sure that you don't just wipe down the surfaces, do the undersides and the backs, inside any drawers or cabinets etc. The mold/mildew could be anywhere. Don't forget the underside of the entire piece, as the entertainment center might have gotten wet from sitting in water.

After you have used these to kill the mildew and clean, then you might want to put in the charcoal to absorb any left over odors, especially inside of drawers or cabinets. Good luck!!!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 21, 20170 found this helpful

Take the entertainment center back regardless of the fact there were no returns allowed. What they did to you is wrong and the mildew might be mold that's poisioness. Your health is to important to take a chance .

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Advertisement

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Advertisement

In This Page
Categories
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 1, 2009
Pages
More
🌻
Gardening
👔
Father's Day Ideas!
👒
Mother's Day Ideas!
🐛
Pest Control
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-04-27 08:14:15 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf88898552.tip.html