Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

I need an economical fruit and vegetable wash.

By Hannah from Las Vegas, NV

Anonymous

Water and a light swish or scrub (depending on what you're washing) is all you need. If you don't think simple water is enough then use a vinegar and water solution but keep in mind that unless it has a hard non-porous skin like an apple the vinegar will seep into the pores of the fruit or vegetable.

I use a solution of 3% peroxide, 1 tablespoon peroxide per gallon of water. Soak two minutes, then rinse.

Have you noticed that green grocers always have a fine mist spraying on the vegetables? Then, why do "they" tell us to wash and "dry thoroughly" before storing? Why? So it will spoil and you need to buy more!

I began to wash and store mine in a large baggie, add two TBS cold water (or two ice cubes), push all air out before sealing. This give cold moisture and no oxygen to fresh produce, even sliced pieces. I can keep all fresh for a month.

No more gray moldy onion halves. no more rotting tomato slices, no more brown lettuce/spinach, no more slimy green onions and cut green peppers. Whole vegetables stay crisp and look like the day you bought them. Each time I open the bag to use something, 2-3 times per week, I simply pour out the water and add a dash of fresh cold water, push the air out and seal again. Try it!