Pumpkin Planters

Try carving a pumpkin to create a planter.

Approximate Time: 30-45 min

• pumpkin
  • annuals
  • knife
  • spoon
  • ribbon
  • dirt
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • small hand shovel
  • trash bag
  • rocks

Instructions:

I don't remember if I saw this or thought it up. However, since I've made my own I've seen the fake pumpkins with fake flowers everywhere. I may have seen it in Lowe's home improvement or Better Homes and Gardens.

1. First, you cut off the top of the pumpkin wherever you wish. Two of mine were cut off at the top, and two in the middle.

2. Next you use your spoon to scrape out the sides of the pumpkin and clean it all out. Putting all your waste in the trash or being a little thrifty and planting or roasting the seeds. My boys love the seeds!

3. After you have the inside good and clean, turn the pumpkin over and using the knife carve out small drain holes. (for water drainage)

4. Once that is done turn your pumpkin over and either cover each hole with an individual rock or a thin layer across the bottom.

5. Next fill your pumpkin with soil. Then plant your annual as usual. Separating the roots and covering with soil.

6. Once that is done and your plant is in place measure out a piece of ribbon to your desired length. I tied mine several times to get the position I wanted and ribbon length.

7. When it was finally how I liked it, I went around the entire top of the ribbon and around the entire circumference of the pumpkin gluing it in place with the hot glue.

8. Finally I placed my pretty, colorful, little planters where I wanted them in the front yard and watered them.

I haven't seen any other live pumpkin planters yet! Happy, beautiful, fall!

Also, I only used materials I had on hand with the exception of my pumpkins and mums. All my ribbon was leftovers so evaluate your crafting supplies and get creative!

By Mistie from Baton Rouge

That is an amazing idea, so thanks for sharing. I have too many strays to do it but I can with a Dollar Tree plastic one.

Love it, what a great idea.

Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersOctober 11, 2011
💘
🍀