Uses for Big Plastic Tubs

I have a stash of items that I need ideas of how to use them rather than throwing them away. What can I do with those big plastic tubs with rope handles?

Thanks for any ideas.

Michele

I use one tub for shoes and boots that are very seldom worn but still need to be kept.

The other tub is full of winter mittens, gloves, hats, scarves that can be dug through when it gets cold.

I, too, have this question. These tubs looked so wonderful in the store, but, really, what can you do with them? They have the disadvantage of being round (square is so much better!), and also very deep. Not so great for my storage needs, actually.

They make a good outdoor bathtub and swimpool (with CONSTANT supervision) for infants and toddlers. Do not leave the tubs with water standing. Always turn over and store upside down after use.

They are also good toy chests in nurseries as they can be accessed by children and turned on their sides without too much chance of injury.

They make a good icebucket to fill with canned drinks at parties.

I can't wait to see what some of my fellow TF colleagues recommend!

Are you wanting a way to hide the tub? I seen this on a decorating show, it was very simple. They took a tub that had the handles on it and took the handles off...maybe you could keep handles on and taped to the inside of the tub. Then she painted the outside of the tub with paint for plastic (they did this for kids room) and then took a round piece of wood bought from a hardware store like Lowes, Home Depot. Painted it with chalk board paint ...has to use several layers of paint. It looked great. She also copied a checker board game and decoupaged it to the center of the chalkboard. It looked really cute. You could probably find the instructions on HGTV.com. Good luck. They also make ones for adults.

I HAVE SEEN THEM BEING USED FOR LAUNDRY BASKETS, OR DRILL A FEW HOLES IN THE BOTTOM AND USE FOR A LARGE PLANTER FOR OUTDOORS. THEY COULD ALSO BE USED AS STORAGE FOR BASEBALL GLOVES, BATS, ETC. OR IN A CHILDS ROOM AS A TOY BOX.

Where can I buy the round plastic tubs with rope handles/

1. They are great for carrying tools, bricks etc when you are working in the garden or renovating the house.
2. Works well for children's toys; also for hoarding those items one does not want to throw away, just in case!
3. When I bought one, my family teased me mercilessly about it. However, when my daughter moved to the university hostel, she found it valuable for packing and moving her stuff. All the small items could be pushed in between the bigger items.

4. Hang it on a hook in the garage/outbuildings when not in use.

Make a Stool

Cut a round piece of plywood; nail three or four blocks on under side so that the block slide inside tote and it will not slip off of top of tote. Cut a foam pad or use batting and attach to top of plywood round. Then take a fabric that matches your decor {strong or upholstery fabric works best} Lay fabric upside down on floor, lay the plywood padding side down on top of fabric, pull one side up and staple well to bottom side of plywood well back from edge. Staple straight across from this first tack point and then do the same thing at half points. Pull it all very tight as you go and you will have to fold {pleat} as you go as well. You may have to staple several times at one point. Staple all the way around and then trim extra... put lid on and you have a stool. If you don't like the plastic color or texture of the tote use a plastic paint {I like hammered copper or steel found at lowes}

Where do you purchase them. I need them in girl colors like pink orange purple, etc.

I use a 19 gallon tub and use it as an outdoor pond. I buy feeder Goldfish when they are small and they grow to the correct size for the container. In the winter, I bring the fish and tub into a sunroom which helps a little from the top being completely frozen over. Then in the summer I take them back outside. I have 5 fish that are 8 years old.