Uses for Margarine Tubs

Category Reusing
Rather than throw them in the trash, consider the many ways you can reuse margarine tubs. This is a guide about uses for margarine tubs.

What uses do you have for margarine tubs?

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I use them to store coffee filters in. It keeps the filters from picking up odors from the cupboard and keeps them dry.

I use the lids from 3-lb. margarine tubs for short-time coverage of bowls of food, stuff like my morning grapefruit, to cover up the morning oatmeal, that sort of thing. Not anything where I want to keep something fresh, mind you, just to keep dust and flying objects off the food. It helps the environment by saving the margarine tub from the landfill, and forgoing the use of plastic wrap for all but long-term storage where freshness counts.

I also use the lids from the 3-lb. margarine tubs as mini cutting boards, for apples, etc. Instead of taking out the big cutting board to cut an apple or two, I have only a margarine lid to wash, and they're pretty good for cutting.

The 3-lb. (and smaller) tubs are also good for sending home "care packages" if someone comes over for dinner. They don't have to worry about returning the dish.

My husband uses the tubs to mix things like paint, etc.
- djkc

Best Answer

You can use them to make stencils for a group of young children's craft projects. Best of all they are FREE.

Syd Barr

Anonymous
Best Answer

I use the small (8 ounce) margarine tubs to store ice cream and sherbet in. When I buy a carton, I immediately open it and pack it into these small containers. They hold a single serving, and help us stick to our diets. It is too easy to scoop out a pint into a large bowl..Saves temptation. And the bonus is...no ice crystals in the container. I also do the same thing with Jello and puddings. Sure is cheaper than the packaged ones that you buy.

- Harlean from Arkansas

Anonymous
Best Answer

We live on a small farm, so we use margarine tubs for measuring feed. It is much easier for the kids to understand 10 scoops than pounds of feed.

Also great for freezing garden made apple sauce, tomato sauce, etc.

- Dee Wolters - Viola, ID

Best Answer

They make the cutest little purses for my grandaughters.

I have punched small holes, close together, just under the rim of a tub with a hand held hole punch. Then with heavy crochet cotton worked about 3" of double crochet. Next, work a row of 'pass through', (dc, ch.2, skip 1 ch, dc), continue around and join. Add another few rows of half dc, all the way around in each stitch. Enough to make a little flounce when a drawstring or ribbon is passed through and tied in a bow. Chain about 18" to 24", turn and single crochet back to end. (The length depends on the size of the child) Tie this 'shoulder strap' to each side of the tub.

One of the girls added some cotton batting and a small square of blanket and carried a small doll around with her in her new cradle!
I never typed up instructions for how I crochet things before, but I know that if you can crochet, you will understand that I did and just adjust to your way of doing it. It is the idea that is important.

PennieRose

Best Answer

You can use the 3lb tubs as containers for make-it-yourself bathroom disposable disinfectant wipes. Cut a paper towel roll (Bounty holds up best) in half with a steak knife or scissors. Place in margarine tub cut side up. Mix 1 1/2 cups water with 1 cup Pine-Sol or your favorite disinfectant and pour into tub on top of towels. Let sit until thoroughly wet, then remove core, and pull towels from the center.

You can do the same for baby wipes, just substitute cooled, boiled water and a tbsp of baby wash and a tbsp of baby oil.

Cheryl

Best Answer

I like to use my margarine tubs to start my garden seeds. I punch a few drainage holes in the bottom, fill with dirt and plant my seeds. Once the sprouts are nice and strong, I transfer them to a clay pot.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I found that you can use the margarine tubs to put beer in and put them in the ground so that the nasty little slugs can fall in and expire.This is a good method to use to keep them off your hostas.

Ivy2001,