VegetablesGardening

Sprouting Vegetables in Water

Question:

I was talking with a fellow shopper in the supermarket today and she mentioned something about sticking the end of a celery bunch in water to sprout it. This got me to thinking about my grandparent's kitchen, they had things sprouting all over the place. I was wondering which veggies you can do this with and how and when to plant them in soil.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

DeeDee from Springfield, MO

Answers:

Try It

This is a great question. Right now I am working on the celery one that was a post here at Thrifty Fun not long ago. (Editor's Note: Click the celery image to the right for more information.)

I know you can sprout avocado trees from their seed (I am doing that right now, too) but it seems to me that anything onions, garlic, leeks, radishes, etc could sprout roots if you placed the bottom side (where the roots originally were) down in water like you do avocados, with the top side being held up out of the water with toothpicks.

When you should plant them in the soil would depend on having a new healthy root system. Each time I purchase a different veggie I'll give it a try.

By Deeli

Lettuce

I tried romaine lettuce and it works. The only thing I discovered is that you can't totally rip out the center or it won't grow. I had two and one still had the center leaves and one didn't. So my new romaine is up about 2 inches.

By Alicehakes

Sweet Potatoes

I know you can grow sweet potatoes in a cup or dish by putting a little water in the cup and the vines will grow. You can cut off the vines and plant them in your garden in the spring time. They don't like cold weather. You can keep clipping the vines till you get all the sweet potatoes you want to grow. You can also clip off the ones you plant in garden after they start growing.

Let them grow until the first frost in the fall then dig them and store them in a dry place. I store mine in garage, covered with newspapers or plastic. I save the very small ones to plant the following year.

By K.W.

Garlic

I've sprouted lots of avocado seeds and they do grow plants, but don't expect fruit unless you live in the tropics, and even then, you're going to be waiting a long while.

Garlic grows well from the cloves if they're somewhat old, you can see the green sprout coming out the top). I'd start them in damp soil and not water though. I've been told that ginger grows well if you put the stem lengthwise in the ground or a pot, but I haven't tried it. That's not water, but I have put the end of ginger upright in water with toothpicks, but there wasn't a nodule out the side and I just got scummy water.

By Tennesue

Do you have any ideas to share? Feel free to post them below.

Click Here For Windowsill Celery Hearts

I plant Taro (a Spanish vegetable)directly in a pot of soil,choose tubers that have begun to sprout. They grow like potatoes from the eye. The leaves are shaped like the elephant ear plant. The leaves get huge in the summer garden if it is in a hot and sunny local. Water well and often. I think they only should be grown for the beautiful leaves. Start them early indoors, they take a while to sprout. Be patient and don't plant to deep.

I have the bottom of a garlic head in water and it is growing green shoots which I clip and use like green onions.

Here's a post on this same topic I participated in not too long ago.

http://www.thri  7661597.tip.html

There's alot of good info there. :) Happy gardening!

Avocado

http://www.wiki  -an-Avocado-Tree

home grow pineapple video

http://www.yout  ch?v=XKsBxVKqZfA

brought you @ youtube from expertvillage

:)

Taro: It's leaves are like collards and the root is similar to a potatoe.

The ginger won't grow in water but if you plant it in a shady spot and well drained place after the weather warms up they will grow nicely. The blooms on edible or strong tasting ginger are small purple and yellow blooms and under the foliage but I think they are the prettiest of all gingers. The pinecone ginger is really showy and Hawaiian ginger has pretty white fragrant blooms. I grow gingers of all kinds and they can be grown even in the north. They don't like a lot of water.

You can buy the edible gingers from different places from the grocery stores. Less than a dollar piece will give you a chance at trying your hand.

Carrots are the best! Put a folded paper towel on a saucer and add water (The paper towel is just to hold the carrots in place). Place the carrot tops, cut side down, on the paper towel. I usually use 6 to 8 carrots at a time. Put them on a shelf or windowsill and keep wet. This is a great project for little kids. They will sprout their fuzzy green tops very quickly.

Turn a carrot upside down, cut the tapered tip off so that the carrot if about 3 inches long (use a big carrot), hollow out the carrot like a vase so that you can fill the hollow with water, suspend the carrot with string in a sunny window and keep it filled with water. This is great for preschoolers - they love to keep it filled with water. The carrrot will sprout all over in long fronds and will eventually look like a large green-leaved ball in the window. It's very pretty and your children will love looking after it -- they all love water!