Cleaning a Food Slicer?

I have an electric food slicer that I've had for a couple years. The last several times I've used it, it gets black on the edges of the blade which in turn gets on to my meat slices. I have to slice a couple slices, clean the blade and repeat. Does anyone know what this is and how to stop it?

Linda Valentine from Spokane, WA

It almost sounds like lubricant coming out...have you asked the manufacturor? I guess it depends on where the black is located, and if it is liquid or solid, like plastic? I'd consult the maker first, because it may be something that happens for the first few uses.

By Linda Valentine (Guest Post)

I did ask the manufacturer. They have no idea and the slicer is not new. It's on the edges of the blade where the blade starts the cut. The black is liquid. Nice on my food! Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post)

I used to have an old, really old, wooden handled butcher knife that seemed to do the same thing. I loved it because I could get it very sharp when I sharpened it. It almost seems like the exposed metal edge oxidizes and then leaves this nasty black mark when it first comes in contact with something moist.

You might try wetting the edge of the blade and then making several cuts through a big hunk of stale bread before slicing whatever you need to slice. It might rub off the "gunk" for you.

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenMay 5, 2006
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf92974617.tip.html