MiscellaneousMake Your Own

Cooling Tubes - How to Make Them?

Category Miscellaneous

I am looking for a cooling tube that you soak in water and then wrap around your neck to keep you cool. Whatever is inside swells up.

I have seen these at craft shows. Does anyone know how to make them and what is inside? Thanks Kelly

By Karen from Niagara Falls, Ontario (Guest Post)

Yes, here is a website that tells whats inside (polymer granules from your garden centre) and how to make them.
www.seworganized.com/.../cooltie.html

Try this idea, because it involves no sewing and it is alot faster--Take an average sized microfiber cloth and soak it with nice cool-cold water. Wring it out enough to stop it from dripping. Fold it in a triangle, put around your neck and tie it. I drive school bus, and it has been plenty hot lately.

This seems to help during the two hours I am riding around in a hot tin box. I have tried the polymer ties and they don't seem to work as well, but they weren't as large as the one on the website. Anyway, give it a shot, and if you don't like it, no harm done.

By Tracey (Guest Post)

I have seen rice used in these things for hot and cold packs. You can actually just use an old sock and just tie the end. Store it in the freezer or heat in the microwave,

By Mary Ann (Guest Post)

The gel can be purchased in the garden dept. It is sold as a gel or as dry granules. It is intended to be mixed into potting soil to keep your plants moist. It is also used under sod to help lawn be drought tolerant. Some companies spray it on the ground before laying sod.

The gel in diapers is the same. So if you can't come up with the gel or granules cut a bit out of a disposable diaper. Put it in water, you'll see.
Best wishes-
Mary Ann

By gidget (Guest Post)

Your answer is in this same website: just look at the scrollbar to the left under "Make Your Own" ~ you will see a heading below called "Health Items." Click this for your answer. Now ~ back to the beach!

Try mixing equal parts of rubbing alcohol and water in long thin balloons and putting that in the freezer. These don't freeze hard, they only gel, but stay cold a long time! Then wrap a bandana or towel around it, tie it around your neck, and you'll stay cool for hours!

OK I DON'T HAVE A SEWING MACHINE AND HAVE ARTHRITIS IN MY HANDS..SO I AM WONDERING IF SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN MAKING ONE OF THESE FOR ME. I'D LIKE TO SEND IT TO MY SON IN IRAQ. I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT IF IT WOULDN'T COST A LOT. HE IS TELLING ME RIGHT NOW IT IS VERY HOT THERE(AROUND 100) THANKS