Organizing Shelves

Tips for organizing shelves. Post your ideas.

My husband and I just ordered shelves from a carpenter. We had him add a divider every 2 feet or so on each shelf. This way the shelf always looks neat and the books can stand up straight.

Tip: Add dividers on the shelf (it will look like an upside-down T.)

By Tali

By (Guest Post)

Can you re-submit this tip with a photo so I can see it. I plan on doing some shelves in closets and I'm looking into everything. It would be greatly appreciated. :) Jennifer,CA

By Claudia (Guest Post)

I also installed dividers on my closet shelves to keep stacks of sweaters neater. At Home Depot, I bought Depot some little wooden shelves intended for corners (sorta shaped like a wedge of pie.) I attached one of the two flat edges to the shelf, the 2nd flat edge faces the back wall of the closet, the remaining curved edge is what you see pointing outward.

(Hope that's not clear as mud!)

in our bathroom, we have a cabinet that goes above the toilet. It only had 3 shelves in it. The shelving spaces were about 18". Who has a 18" tall container of deodorant? or cough medicine? Most toiletries are only 5-8" tall. so we have all these aspirin bottles, after shave bottles, etc on the shelf with all this wasted space above the bottles.

I made a 3 sided shelf. The 2 legs are about 5" wide x 5" tall and the top is whatever length you need it to be. Screw it together and cover with contact paper and you instantly have another shelf for all your toiletries. Of course, you can buy these small plastic, wire shelves for probably $5-10 at Walmart or Thrift store, but since we were remodeling our house, we had lots of scrap wood laying around which works perfect (and recycles the wood).