Organizing Toys

Category Toys
An playroom with bins and toys arranged on shelves
This is a guide about organizing toys. Help teach kids to keep their toys in order by using shelves and containers.

This is a guide about organizing bath toys. If your children's bath looks like a toy store you might be looking for ways to store their bath toys.

Organizing Bath Toys

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about organizing Playmobil toys. Playmobil sets are a favorite toy for children. Keeping all of those sets and their numerous pieces organized can be a project in itself.

Civil War Playmobil character.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 3 and 4 year old and they're currently sharing a room. They're overrun with toys, and I need a good organization tip to get all of them separated and together.

By k.sowders

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

If the kids have regular twin beds, get the clear plastic "under the bed" storage things. Each one has their own (however many) with their names on them. Depending on the number of toys, put pictures on the ends of the bins so they know, legos goe in this bin, Barbies go in that bin, etc...

Best Answer

I used to work at Headstart. What we did is get the children involved in organizing the toys and putting them away.

First, if you have any shelves, have them help outline the toys that will fit on the shelves, explaining that each toy now has it's own home when not in use.

For toys like soldiers, match cars etc. create a circle which you make or buy a circular tablecloth. As an example, we made a track on the inside of the cloth, put a drawstring along the edge and when done playing with the cars, the cloth is drawn up and hung along with other bags which hold other groups of toys which like to play together.

If you have room to hang something from which these bags can hang, you can put a pic on each bag, but it won't be long before your children will know what each holds. This works in a classroom of preschoolers and it sure has worked in my home.

BTW: if you decide to use bins. make them small enough that each will only hold so many toys. This way each can be designated as a 'home' for the toys it holds.

Dee

Store the majority of your child's toys in plastic see-through bins, tubs or clearly labeled boxes in the attic or basement. Store the child's other toys in their room in the bins in a closet. Painlessly and quickly rotate the toys often. Just grab a bin from the attic or basement and switch with the bedroom toys. If you have very young children, you can minimize the clutter by storing toys on a high shelf for adults only. When the child wants a toy to play with, they can easily point it out. Don't forget to replace it with one that is already out.

Note: The tubs and bins tip works well for pantry items as well to stay organized.

Note: Have separate "treat" bins and "snack" bins; having more nutritional items in the "snack" bins, which would be used more often that the "treat" bins.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I would appreciate any helpful ideas on organizing toys for my 1 year old daughter. We have not purchased many containers yet. I have seen the shelves with the open bins (interested if people like this or not) and other ideas for a play area and my family room. PLEASE send pictures also if you have examples!

Tina from Somerset, KY

Answers:

Organizing Toys

Here's what I have done, and still do with my 6 year old.

First, go though everything and throw away/give away anything you don't want.

Then, organize everything (dollies, stuffies, outdoor toys) and group together in tubs with lids. Then, rotate everything every couple months or so, so the toys will seem new to the baby (I reminded myself with putting a note on a calendar.)

I also like using those giant Ziploc bags you can buy, they are not as bulky as tubs.

(04/07/2008)

By retrosarah

Organizing Toys

Here is my toy shelf, I have a family childcare in my home so a single child would not need as much stuff. I have pictures of the contents to help with clean up. (04/08/2008)

By kladybug

RE: Organizing Toys

Organizing Toys

As a mom and grandmother of 9, I have discovered the best way to keep toys in "tow" is to separate them. By that I mean, divide them and leave maybe 1/4 of the toys in the room to play with. Children become overwhelmed when there are too many. Once a month or so, take the toys that have been in the child's room and bag them up for future use and bring out another "batch". Just keep rotating them and it will be like Christmas each month! (04/08/2008)

By Grammiecracker

Organizing Toys

Hello! I would also suggest separating the toys with like items. Place them in a bin and then include a picture on the outside. Your child should eventually be able to recognize the picture and help in clean up time. (04/09/2008)

By Amy from Lansing MI

Organizing Toys

I saw this on another site and saved the picture. I am going to make one or maybe two for my niece. They are simply those puzzle mats, you will need six of them. Glue five together to make the sides and bottom of the box and the sixth is loose and goes on for the top. (04/09/2008)

By PICO

RE: Organizing Toys

Organizing Toys

I think a deep bookshelf would be good, with shelves wide enough to hold at least 2 containers. Maybe use a top-shelf for books/games and on each lower shelf place containers (with lids if preferred). Divide like-with-like into each container and label the front or stick a picture there. If you want it to be colourful you could use different coloured containers, or match them if you prefer that look. Containers are very reasonably priced at dollar-type stores, also you can get some bright coloured (kitchen) basins quite cheaply at some hardware stores and these might work too, plus they're dual purpose :) (04/10/2008)

By jojo

Organizing Toys

I also rotate toys. I use the plastic boxes with wheels and lids from IKEA for storage. Pink and white in the girls room and blue in the boys room. They are lightweight and can be easily wheeled from room to room. They cost about $5.00 each! Great bargain! (07/06/2008)

By BridgetOFlynn

Organizing Toys

I have the toy bins on the shelves. It is very nice. I love it. The nicest part I think is when they start to get too full time to clean them out. The bins also make the room easier to clean. (10/23/2009)

By spiderhannah